When everyone had eaten as much as they could, the remains of the food faded from the plates, leaving them sparkling clean as before.
每个人都吃完饭后,残羹剩菜都自动从盘子里消失了,盘子又变得像开始时那样光彩夺目.
A moment later the desserts appeared. Blocks of ice cream in every flavor you could think of, apple pies, treacle tarts,
过了一会儿,甜品出现了。你所能想到的各种口味的大块大块的雪糕、苹果馅饼、蜜糖果饼
chocolate eclairs and jam doughnuts, trifle, strawberries, Jell-O, rice pudding.
巧克力棒糕、果酱油炸饼、草莓、咖胆、米饭布丁……应有尽有。
As Harry helped himself to a treacle tart, the talk turned to their families.
哈利拿起一块蜜糖果饼正吃着的时候,话题转到了各人的家族上来,
I'm half-and-half, said Seamus. “Me dad's a Muggle. Mom didn't tell him she was a witch ‘til after they were married.
我出身于半魔法家庭,我爸是马格人,我妈直到结婚时才告诉我爸她是个女魔法师
Bit of a nasty shock for him.”
当时他一定非常惊讶而且很不愉快。
The others laughed.
其他人都哈哈大笑起来。
What about you, Neville? said Ron.
那你呢,尼维尔?罗恩问。
Well, my gran brought me up and she's a witch, said Neville, but the family thought I was all-Muggle for ages.
我外婆把我养大的,她是个魔法师。"尼维尔说,"但我家人长期以来都把我当普通人看待。
My Great Uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off my guard and force some magic out of me,
我的舅公阿吉却总想把我训练成魔法师.
he pushed me off the end of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned — but nothing happened until I was eight.
有一次,他把我从布莱克浦码头推了下去,我差点被淹死了——不过,我八岁前的生活没有什么特别的。
Great Uncle Algie came round for dinner, and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles
八岁那年,阿吉舅公来我家作客,他抓住我的踝关节,把我倒挂在楼上窗户外面练功,
when my Great Auntie Enid offered him a meringue and he accidentally let go.
安迪妮舅婆递给他一张甜饼时,他竟一不小心松了手
But I bounced — all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased, Gran was crying, she was so happy.
但我不仅没摔死,而且还从花园里一直弹到马路上,当时外婆见我安然无恙,喜极而泣。
And you should have seen their faces when I got in here — they thought I might not be magic enough to come, you see.
找到这儿的时候你们都应该见到我外婆他们了吧。 虽然我也许还不够格到这儿来学习
Great Uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my toad.
但阿吉舅公高兴极了,还买了这只癞蛤蟆送给我呢。
On Harry's other side, Percy Weasley and Hermione were talking about lessons
在哈利的对面,伯希·威斯里和荷米恩在谈论功课。
I do hope they start right away, there's so much to learn, I'm particularly interested in Transfiguration,
我真希望他们现在就开始努力学习了,要学的东西太多了。我对变形情有独钟
you know, turning something into something else, of course, it's supposed to be very difficult
你知道吗,把东西变来变去可有意思啦。当然,也有一定难度
You'll be starting small, just matches into needles and that sort of thing.
你得逐步积累、稳扎稳打才行喔。
Harry, who was starting to feel warm and sleepy, looked up at the High Table again.
哈利感到了温暖和倦意,又抬头看看高台上的主席台。
Hagrid was drinking deeply from his goblet. Professor McGonagall was talking to Professor Dumbledore.
哈格力正品尝着美酒,麦康娜教授正和丹伯多教授交谈。
Professor Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin.
戴着可笑的无边帽的屈拉教授则正和一位长着油黑的长发、鹰钩鼻子、土黄肤色的老师说话。
It happened very suddenly. The hook-nosed teacher looked past Quirrell's turban straight into Harry's eyes
一切都来得很突然,那个钩鼻子老师的目光穿过上屈拉的帽子直射入哈利的双眼,
and a sharp, hot pain shot across the scar on Harry's forehead.
哈利前额上的伤疤感到一阵火辣的剧痛。
Ouch! Harry clapped a hand to his head.
啊!哈利连忙用手拍拍头。
What is it?asked Percy.
怎么了?伯希问。
N-nothing.
没,没什么。
The pain had gone as quickly as it had come.
那阵剧痛已经稍瞬即逝了
Harder to shake off was the feeling Harry had gotten from the teacher's look — a feeling that he didn't like Harry at all.
只有那从对面老师的眼神中看出的感觉令哈利难以释怀——他一点都不喜欢哈利。
Who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell? he asked Percy.
和屈拉教授说话的那个老师是谁呀?他问伯希。
Oh, you know Quirrell already, do you? No wonder he's looking so nervous, that's Professor Snape.
哦,你已经认识屈拉啦?那是史纳皮教授,看来他是紧张过度了。
He teaches Potions, but he doesn't want to — everyone knows he's after Quirrell's job. Knows an awful lot about the Dark Arts, Snape.
他是教药剂学的,但他不愿让别人知道。人们都知他想得到屈拉的职位,史纳皮对黑巫术有很深入的研究。
Harry watched Snape for a while, but Snape didn't look at him again.
哈利观察了史纳皮很久,但史纳皮再没望他一眼。