There, look.
在那儿,看!
Where?
哪个呀?
Next to the tall kid with the red hair.
在那个红头发高个儿的旁边。
Wearing the glasses?
戴着眼镜的那个?
Did you see his face?
看清他的模样了吗?
Did you see his scar?
有没有看到他的那块伤疤?
Whispers followed Harry from the moment he left his dormitory the next day.
第二天,哈利一离开宿舍,大家就吵吵嚷嚷地议论开了。
People lining up outside classrooms stood on tiptoe to get a look at him, or doubled back to pass him in the corridors again, staring.
那些在教室外排着队的人踮起脚尖来要看他,走廊上碰到的人都会回头对他一看再看。
Harry wished they wouldn't, because he was trying to concentrate on finding his way to classes.
哈利多希望他们别那样干,因为他都快没办法集中精神找去教室的那条路了。
There were a hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones;
霍格瓦彻学校里一共有一百四十二座楼梯,有的宽敞干净;有的不但窄,还老爱晃动;
some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump.
有的在某个星期五就会变成通向另一处不同的地方;有的藏着些消失的梯级,弄得你不得不跳起来才能往上走。
Then there were doors that wouldn't open unless you asked politely, or tickled them in exactly the right place,
这里的门除非你有礼貌地请求它,或者帮它在某个恰当的地方挠挠痒,否则它们是不会开的。
and doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending.
还有些门根本就不是门,而是坚固的墙壁伪装而成的。
It was also very hard to remember where anything was, because it all seemed to move around a lot.
要记住这一切机关真的好难呀,因为它们好像是会自己移动的。
The people in the portraits kept going to visit each other, and Harry was sure the coats of armor could walk.
壁贴肖像上的人物者爱互相拜访换位置。还有一件鱼鳞盔甲般的外套,哈利确信它是会走路的。
The ghosts didn't help, either. It was always a nasty shock when one of them glided suddenly through a door you were trying to open.
小鬼们也让人头痛得要命。当你正要打开一扇门时,他们可能会忽然从里面飘出来,吓得你半死。
Nearly Headless Nick was always happy to point new Gryffindors in the right direction,
没头鬼尼克经常很乐意为新来的格林芬顿学生们指点正确的方向,
but Peeves the Poltergeist was worth two locked doors and a trick staircase if you met him when you were late for class.
但喧哗鬼皮维斯就不同了。如果你迟到的时候碰上他,那家伙就会给你弄个锁上的门和一座戏法楼梯尝尝。
He would drop wastepaper baskets on your head, pull rugs from under your feet, pelt you with bits of chalk, or sneak up behind you,
他会往你头上扔废纸篓,抽掉你脚下的地毯,连续不断地向你掷粉笔,或者从背后偷偷地接近你,
invisible, grab your nose, and screech, GOT YOUR CONK!
无声无息的,突然飞快地捏住你的鼻子,然后尖声大叫:抓住你的鼻子啦!