It's really important to know
掌握活跃断层的
where these active faults are exactly,
具体位置是极其重要的
so that at least if you can't predict the earthquakes,
即使无法预测地震
then we know where not to build.
至少可以避免在断层上盖房
But not everyone thinks that prediction is totally dead,
但并非所有人都认为预测地震是不可能的
there's still a sneaking hope that someone,
我们仍暗下奢望未来某一天
someday, may find the Holy Grail of seismology.
有人能找到地震学的 "圣杯"
Some seismologists would say, "No,
一些地震学者会说 "不
it's impossible and I'm not willing to go that far,
这是不可能的 而我也不愿意再继续
"Because we don't understand why exactly earthquakes happen,
因为我们不明白地震发生的具体原因
so if we don't understand that,
正因为我们不明白
we can't say they're not predictable. "
所以我们不能说地震是无法预测的"
It's an interesting challenge, we might get closer to it,
这是个有趣的挑战 我们或离答案更近
there are obviously certain things
显然 有些东西
we're going to learn and have learnt,
我们要去学习并化为己用
maybe one day,we'll get lucky and find
也许有一天 我们会幸运地发现
that we've been looking at the wrong thing,
自己的研究方向是错的
but right now, whatever we do has resulted in,
但在当下 虽然我们所做的
well, I have to say failure, but you know,
均以失败告终 但你要知道
we're trying, we're doing our bit,
我们在努力 也在尽己本分
we think we'll get there one day.
我想终有一天会成功的