Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward;
再次说明的是,你在向前展望的时候不可能将这些片断串连起来;
you can only connect them looking backwards.
你只能在回顾的时候将点点滴滴串连起来。
So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.
所以你必须相信这些片断会在你未来的某一天串连起来。
You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.
你必须要相信某些东西:你的勇气、目的、生命、因缘......
This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
这个过程从来没有令我失望,只是让我的生命更加地与众不同。
My second story is about love and loss.
我的第二个故事是关于爱和失去。
I was lucky –I found what I loved to do early in life.
我非常幸运, 因为我在很早的时候就找到了我钟爱的东西。
Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20.
沃兹和我在二十岁的时候就在父母的车库里面开创了苹果公司。
We worked hard,
我们工作得很努力,
and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees.
十年之后, 这个公司从那两个车库中的穷小子发展到了超过四千名的雇员、价值超过二十亿的大公司。
We had just released our finest creation – the Macintosh –a year earlier,
在公司成立的第九年,我们刚刚发布了最好的产品,那就是Macintosh。
and I had just turned 30.
我也快要到三十岁了。
And then I got fired. How can you get fired from a company you started?
在那一年, 我被炒了鱿鱼。你怎么可能被你自己创立的公司炒了鱿鱼呢?
Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me,
嗯,在苹果快速成长的时候,我们雇用了一个很有天分的家伙和我一起管理这个公司,
and for the first year or so things went well.
在最初的几年,公司运转的很好。
But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out.
但是后来我们对未来的看法发生了分歧, 最终我们吵了起来。
When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him.
当争吵到不可开交的时候,董事会站在了他的那一边。
So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out.
所以在三十岁的时候,我离开了公司。
What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone,
在这么多人目光下我被炒了,我失去了成年后的整个生活重心,
and it was devastating.
这使我心力交瘁。
I really didn't know what to do for a few months.
在最初的几个月里,我真是不知道该做些什么。
I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down –
我觉得我很令上一代的创业家们很失望,
that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me.
我把他们交给我的接力棒弄丢了。
I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly.
我和创办惠普的David Pack、创办Intel的Bob Noyce见面,并试图向他们道歉。
I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley.
这次失败弄得沸沸扬扬,我甚至想过逃离硅谷
But something slowly began to dawn on me –I still loved what I did.
但是,渐渐地,我开始有了一个想法——我仍然热爱我过去所做的一切。
The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit.
在苹果公司发生的这些风波丝毫没有改变这一点。
I had been rejected, but I was still in love.
我虽然被拒之门外,但我仍然深爱我的事业。
And so I decided to start over.
于是,我决定从头开始。