Hi Don, what's new?
嗨,唐,有什么新鲜事吗?
Everything!
一切都是新鲜的!
What do you mean?
你是什么意思?
The clouds, the grass, this pencil, my chair...
白云,草地,这支铅笔,我的椅子…
Have you been hitting the bottle?
你喝醉酒了吗?
No.
没有。
Don't tell me you've had a religious epiphany.
不要告诉我你已经有了宗教顿悟。
No, it's nothing like that.
不,不是这样的。
Then what?
那是什么呢?
I got contact lenses to replace my glasses, and it's like I'm seeing the world through new eyes. It's miraculous.
我用隐形眼镜来替代我的眼镜,就像我是有了双新眼睛看世界。这很神奇。
Actually Don, there's nothing miraculous about it.
实际上是这样的,唐,没有什么奇迹可言。
Do tell.
你告诉我吧。
Well, like glasses, contact lenses work by bending light rays just the right amount to make the object come into focus on the retina at the back of the eye.
嗯,比如眼镜,隐形眼镜的工作原理是通过弯曲光线达到适合以使物体成为在眼睛后面的视网膜聚焦。
Sometimes the eye's natural lens has an imperfection or may not be shaped properly, which can make your vision blurry or distorted.
有时眼睛的自然晶状体有缺陷或塑形不正确,这就造成你的视力模糊或失真。
Depending on your vision, the right kind of lens helps your eye focus light properly and project a clear image onto the retina.
取决于你的视觉,合适的眼镜会帮助你的眼睛进行合适的聚焦之后在视网膜上形成一个清晰的影像。
Ok, fine, but why do contacts make things seem so clear?
好,很好,但为什么隐形眼镜使事物看起来很清楚呢?
Patience, young patience.
耐心,小伙子耐心听完。
Glasses have what's called an optical center, which means that objects appear clearest when viewed through the center of the lenses.
眼镜有所谓的光心,这意味着通过镜片的中心时物体会变得最为清晰。
But when you're wearing glasses and you move your eyes to the side, or up, or down, things can seem slightly distorted or blurry.
但是当你戴上眼镜,你的眼睛到一边,或上、下,事物会变得似乎稍微扭曲或模糊。
So because contacts are right on the eye and move with the eye, there's no optical center.
所以因为隐形眼镜恰巧在眼睛上而眼睛移动的时候没有光心。
Right. Put another way, the entire contact lens is the optical center.
就是这样。换句话说,整个隐形眼镜就是光心。
So no matter which way you move your eyes, objects appear in perfect focus.
所以无论以何种方式移动你的眼睛,物体都出现完美的焦点。
And that's why everything seems so much clearer!
这就是为什么一切都显得那么清晰多了!
Like this eraser, and this envelope. . .
比如这块橡皮擦,这信封…
I get it, Don.
我懂了,唐。