Finally the laughter dwindled and stopped.Ned was still on one knee, his eyes upraised.
当笑声终止,奈德仍然单膝跪地,眼睛上扬。
"Damn it, Ned," the kingcomplained. "You might at least humor me with a smile."
“妈的,奈德,”国王抱怨,“你好歹也跟我一起笑一笑?”
"They say it grows so cold up here in winterthat a man's laughter freezes in his throat and chokes him to death," Ned saidevenly.
“有人说这里的冬天太冷,人若是笑了,声音会冻结在喉咙里,直到把人活活噎死,”奈德平静地说,
"Perhaps that is why the Starks have so little humor."
“或许这就是为什么我们史塔克家人甚少有幽默感。”
"Come south with me, and I'll teach you howto laugh again," the king promised.
“跟我一起到南方去,我一定让你再露笑颜,”国王向他保证。
"You helped me win this damnable throne,now help me hold it. We were meant to rule together.
“你既然帮我得到了这张该死的铁椅子,就该帮我保住它吧。我们注定是要并肩治理国家的。
If Lyanna had lived, weshould have been brothers, bound by blood as well as affection.
倘若莱安娜还活着,我们现在就该是连姻手足,名副其实的兄弟了。
Well, it is nottoo late. I have a son. You have a daughter.
呵呵,好在现在也不迟,我有个儿子,你有个女儿。
My Joff and your Sansa shall joinour houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done."
我家小乔和你的珊莎会把两家结合在一起,就好像当年的莱安娜和我。”
This offer did surprise him. "Sansa is onlyeleven."
这个提议却真吓了奈德一跳:“可珊莎才十一岁。”
Robert waved an impatient hand.
劳勃不耐烦地挥挥手。
"Old enoughfor betrothal. The marriage can wait a few years." The king smiled. "Now standup and say yes, curse you."
“已经大到可以订婚啦,结婚等过几年再说,”国王微笑。“你这浑球,还不快站起来说好。”
"Nothing would give me greater pleasure, Your Grace," Ned answered.
“陛下,这是至高无上的荣耀与喜乐,”奈德回答。
He hesitated. "These honors are all so unexpected. May I have some time to consider? I need to tell my wife..."
接着他露出迟疑。“可也太让我措手不及,能否给我点时间考虑?我要告诉我妻子...”
"Yes, yes, of course, tell Catelyn, sleep onit if you must." The king reached down, clasped Ned by the hand, and pulled himroughly to his feet.
“好,好,当然没问题,去跟凯特琳说罢,好好想清楚。”国王伸出手,拍了拍奈德的手,然后把他拉起来。
"Just don't keep me waiting too long. I am not the mostpatient of men."
“别教我等太久就是,你也知道我没什么耐性。”
For a moment Eddard Stark was filled with aterrible sense of foreboding. This was his place, here in the north.
一时之间,艾德·史塔克心中充满了一种山雨欲来的恐惧,毕竟寒冷的北国才是真正属于他的故乡。
He lookedat the stone figures all around them, breathed deep in the chill silence of thecrypt.
他看看四周石像,吸了口墓窖的冰冷空气。
He could feel the eyes of the dead. They were all listening, he knew. And winter was coming.
他隐约可以感觉得出身旁历代先祖的目光,他知道他们正侧耳倾听,他知道凛冬将至。