I picked myself up, ignoring him as I brushed the mud and bracken off the back of my jacket. That only made him laugh harder. Annoyed, I began to stride off into the forest.
我自己挣扎着站起来,不去理会他,只是把外套后面的泥泞和蕨类植物拍掉。这让他笑得更凶了。我气恼地大步走进密林里。
I felt his arm around my waist.
我感觉到他的胳膊环住了我的腰。
"Where are you going, Bella?"
“你要去哪里,贝拉?”
"To watch a baseball game. You don't seem to be interested in playing anymore, but I'm sure the others will have fun without you."
“去看棒球赛。你好像对打球没什么兴趣了,但我敢肯定就算没有你别人也能玩得很开心的。”
"You're going the wrong way."
“你走错方向了。”
I turned around without looking at him, and stalked off in the opposite direction. He caught me again.
我转过身,看也不看他,高视阔步地向相反的方向走去。他又拉住了我。
"Don't be mad, I couldn't help myself. You should have seen your face." He chuckled before he could stop himself.
“别生气,我只是一时情难自禁。你真应该看看你自己的脸。”他轻笑着,好不容易才按捺住笑意。
"Oh, you're the only one who's allowed to get mad?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.
“哦,就许你一个人生气?”我扬起眉毛,问道。
"I wasn't mad at you."
“我没在生你的气。”
"'Bella, you'll be the death of me'?" I quoted sourly.
“‘贝拉,我会死在你手里的’?”我酸溜溜地引述他的话。
"That was simply a statement of fact."
“这只是就事论事。”
I tried to turn away from him again, but he held me fast.
我试图转身再次挣脱他,但他眼疾手快地抓住了我。
"You were mad," I insisted.
“你就是在生气。”我坚持说道。
"Yes."
“是的。”
"But you just said —"
“可你才说着——”
"That I wasn't mad at you. Can't you see that, Bella?" He was suddenly intense, all trace of teasing gone. "Don't you understand?"
“我不是在生你的气。你看不出来吗,贝拉?”他忽然紧绷起来,所有调侃的痕迹都消失了。“你不明白吗?”
"See what?" I demanded, confused by his sudden mood swing as much as his words.
“明白什么?”我诘问道,他突如其来的心情变化和他说的话一样让我困惑。
"I'm never angry with you — how could I be? Brave, trusting… warm as you are."
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。