Go on,said Miss Havisham,looking interested.
继续说,郝薇香小姐感兴趣地看着我说。
I thought it was you,Miss Havisham!And you encouraged me in my mistake!
我想那是你,郝薇香小姐!你促使我犯了错误!
Why should I be kind to anybody after all I've suffered!cried Miss Havisham angrily.
为什么我必须仁慈地对待每个人蒙受伤害!郝薇香小姐生气地叫喊着。
Yes,you're right,I said quickly,to calm her.But you also encouraged your relations to think I would inherit some of your fortune.
是的,你说得很对,我对她心平气和地接着说,你也促使了你的亲戚认为我会继承你的财产。
Why shouldn't I?she cried wildly.
我为什么会这样?她疯了似地叫喊。
But Matthew Pocket and his son are different.They aren't selfish or greedy,they're generous and honest.I want you to know that.
不过,马修·朴凯特和他的儿子不同,他们不是自私自利贪心的,他们是慷慨诚实的,我让您知道这一点。
She looked carefully at me.What do you want for them?
她仔细地看着我,你为他们要什么呢?
I'm asking for money,I replied,my cheeks red.I would like you to help my friend Herbert become a partner in his company.
我要钱,我回答说,脸红了起来,我想让你去帮助我的朋友赫伯特在他的公司成为股东。
I started paying for this myself two years ago-and I want to keep it a secret from him,but now I find I can't continue the payments.
两年前,我开始为这项工作自己投资,我要为此事对他保密——但是,我现在发现我不能继续投资了。
I can't explain why.It's part of the other person's secret.
我不能解释为什么,那是别人的一部分秘密。
Miss Havisham looked at the fire,and then at me again.
郝薇香小姐看着火炉,然后又看着我。
What else?she asked.
还有什么?她问道。
Turning to Estella,I tried to control my trembling voice.You know I love you,Estella,I said.I have loved you long and dearly.She shook her head.
我转向艾丝黛拉,极力地控制我震颤的声音,你知道我爱你,艾丝黛拉,我说我已经长时间地深深地爱着你。她摇了摇头。
关于《远大前程》
期间他还听说了一件故事:20多年前,老处女在结婚典礼上,被弟弟亚瑟和未婚夫康生合谋骗了一大笔钱,然后整天萎靡不振,停留在过去的回忆里。