The room seemed strangely quiet.
房子静得出奇。
The mother and her daughters were making a small white cotton shirt together, while the usually noisy young Cratchits sat silently in a corner, and Peter was reading a book.
妈妈和女儿们正在一起缝制一件小白衬衫,而一向吵吵闹闹的小克拉奇蒂静静地坐在一个角落里,彼得正在看书。
Mrs Cratchit put her work down on the table, and covered her face with her hand.
克拉奇蒂夫人把手头的活放在桌子上,用手捂住脸。
'The colour hurts my eyes,' she said. The colour? Ah, poor Tiny Tim!
“这颜色刺得我的眼睛都疼了,”她说。这颜色?啊,可怜的小蒂姆!
'They're a little better now,' she went on. 'It's difficult to work by candlelight.
“现在眼睛好点了,”她继续说。“在烛光下干活真费劲,
And I don't want to show red eyes to your father when he comes home.'
我不想让你父亲回来时看到我的眼睛红红的。”
'He's a bit late,' said Peter, 'but I think he's walked more slowly these last few days, mother.'
“他稍晚了点,”彼得说,“但我觉得最近这几天他走得更慢了,妈妈。”
They were very quiet again.
他们又都沉默了。
At last she said bravely, 'I've known him walk with — with Tiny Tim in his arms, very fast indeed.'
最后她勇敢地说,“我知道他是怀里抱着——抱着小蒂姆走路的,实际上很快。”
'So have I,' cried Peter. 'Often!'
“我也知道,”彼得大声说。“经常是这样!”
'But he was very light to carry, and your father loved him so much! And there's your father at the door now!'
“但他很轻,抱着方便,你爸爸很喜欢他!现在爸爸到门口了!”
She got up quickly to kiss Bob as he came in.
她立刻起身,当鲍勃进屋的时候她吻了他。
He looked tired and thin, and needed his long scarf, poor man!
他看上去疲惫消瘦,而且需要他的长围巾,好可怜的人啊!
Martha took his boots and scarf off, and Belinda brought him his tea, and the little Cratchits sat close to him.
玛莎为他脱下靴子,摘下围巾,贝琳达给他端来茶,小克拉奇蒂们紧挨着他坐下。
He was very cheerful with all of them, and was pleased with the little shirt that his wife and daughters were making.
和他们在一起他开心极了,他妻子和女儿们缝制的小衬衫使他很高兴。
'It'll be ready long before Sunday, won't it?' he said.
“星期日之前能做好,不是吗?”他问道。
'Sunday! You went there today, then, Bob?' asked his wife.
“星期日!那么你今天去那儿了,鲍勃?”他妻子问。
'Yes, my dear. You'd love to see it. It's a beautiful green place. But you'll see it often.
“是的,亲爱的。你想看看它,那地方绿绿的,很漂亮,但你会经常看到它的。
I promised him that we would go there every Sunday.
我答应他我们每个星期日都去那儿。
My little, little child!' cried Bob, hiding his face in his hands. He had loved the boy very much.
我的小宝贝啊!”鲍勃哭了,双手捂住了脸。他过去一直深爱着这个男孩。
He went upstairs to the quiet bedroom, where the child lay.
他上楼来到了那孩子躺着的静静的卧室。
Poor Bob sat down beside him, and when he felt calmer, he kissed the little face, and went downstairs again, almost happy.
可怜的鲍勃坐在他身边,当孩子稍平静了些的时候,他吻了他的小脸蛋然后下了楼,这时他似乎高兴了。