While Ken cooks, I'm enjoying spending time with the family.
老谭做菜的时候 我跟这家人待在一起
I feel like I've come back home.
我有种回到家的感觉
I grew up in a small
我小时候
village with my grandparents in rural Taiwan,
跟爷爷奶奶一起住在台湾的一个小村庄里
and then, when I was five,
后来 我5岁的时候
left with my parents for South Africa,
跟父母一起离开家去了南非
finally arriving in the UK when I was 11 years old.
11岁的时候 在英国定居了下来
When I was growing up at school,
念书的时候 我从来不为
I was never proud to be Chinese.
自己是中国人而自豪
All I wanted to do was be English,
一心只想做个英国人
and, why couldn't I be more like my English friends?
我想为什么我不能变得更像我的英国朋友一点呢
And I wanted to dye my hair blonde and,
我想要染成一头金发
you know, be very Western.
然后做一个真正的西方人
You Should come and try some Xiao Chi.
真该来尝尝这边的小吃
Over the years,
这么多年来
cooking has helped connect me to my Chinese roots,
是烹饪让我没有忘本
so it feels important to make something for Jenny's family that,
所以我想要为Jenny的家人做一道
for them, feels authentically Sichuanese.
连他们都觉得正宗的四川菜
Watching Jenny's aunt cook is really inspiring.
看Jenny的姑姑做菜特别带感
She's making a boiled fish dish. Smells good.
她在做水煮鱼 真香
Your aunt is a really masterful cook,
你姑姑做菜真厉害
-and she cooks in high heels, it's amazing.I know!
而且还踩着高跟,太神了,我懂的
It really is amazing!
真的很了不得
So now she's sprinkling on the chilli flakes.
她现在在鱼片上洒辣椒
She's got some hot vegetable oil.
再浇上一层热油
Wow!
哇
That looks wonderful.
看起来好棒啊
I've never done it like
我以前从没这样做过
that before - sprinkle a dish with chillies
在菜上撒上辣椒
and then just ladle hot sizzling oil on top.
再往上面浇上滚油
It's just beautiful. I'm learning so much, it's wonderful.
美极了 我学到不少东西 太棒了