Out of these deep surrounding shades rose high, and glared white,
床上高高地叠着褥垫和枕头,上面铺着雪白的马赛布床罩,
the piled-up mattresses and pillows of the bed, spread with a snowy Marseilles counterpane.
在周围深色调陈设的映衬下,白得眩目。
Scarcely less prominent was an ample cushioned easy-chair near the head of the bed, also white,
几乎同样显眼的是床头边一把铺着坐垫的大安乐椅,一样的白色,
with a footstool before it; and looking, as I thought, like a pale throne.
前面还放着一只脚凳,在我看来,它像一个苍白的宝座。
This room was chill, because it seldom had a fire.
房子里难得生火,所以很冷。
It was silent, because remote from the nursery and kitchens.
因为远离保育室和厨房,所以很静。
Solemn, because it was known to be so seldom entered.
又因为谁都知道很少有人进去,所以显得庄严肃穆。
The housemaid alone came here on Saturdays, to wipe from the mirrors and the furniture a week's quiet dust.
只有女佣每逢星期六上这里来,把一周内静悄悄落在镜子上和家具上的灰尘抹去。
And Mrs. Reed herself, at far intervals, visited it to review the contents of a certain secret drawer in the wardrobe,
还有里德太太本人,隔好久才来一次,查看大橱里某个秘密抽屉里的东西。
where were stored divers parchments, her jewel-casket, and a miniature of her deceased husband.
这里存放着各类羊皮文件,她的首饰盒,以及她已故丈夫的肖像。
And in those last words lies the secret of the red-room, the spell which kept it so lonely in spite of its grandeur.
上面提到的最后几句话,给红房子带来了一种神秘感,一种魔力,因而它虽然富丽堂皇,却显得分外凄清。
Mr. Reed had been dead nine years. It was in this chamber he breathed his last. Here he lay in state.
里德先生死去已经九年了,他就是在这间房子里咽气的。他的遗体在这里让人瞻仰。
Hence his coffin was borne by the undertaker's men.
他的棺材由殡葬工人从这里抬走。
And, since that day, a sense of dreary consecration had guarded it from frequent intrusion.
从此之后,这里便始终弥漫着一种阴森森的祭奠氛围,所以不常有人闯进来。
My seat, to which Bessie and the bitter Miss Abbot had left me riveted, was a low ottoman near the marble chimney-piece.
贝茜和刻薄的艾博特小姐让我一动不动坐着的,是一条软垫矮凳,摆在靠近大理石壁炉的地方。
The bed rose before me; to my right hand there was the high, dark wardrobe, with subdued, broken reflections varying the gloss of its panels.
我面前是高耸的床,我右面是黑漆漆的大橱,橱上柔和、斑驳的反光,使镶板的光泽摇曳变幻。
To my left were the muffled windows; a great looking-glass between them repeated the vacant majesty of the bed and room.
我左面是关得严严实实的窗子,两扇窗子中间有一面大镜子,映照出床和房间的空旷和肃穆。
I was not quite sure whether they had locked the door.
我吃不准他们锁了门没有。
And when I dared move, I got up and went to see.
等到敢于走动时,便起来看个究竟。
Alas! yes. No jail was ever more secure.
哎呀,不错,比牢房锁得还紧呐。
Returning, I had to cross before the looking-glass.
返回原地时,我必须经过大镜子跟前。
My fascinated glance involuntarily explored the depth it revealed.
我的目光被吸引住了,禁不住探究起镜中的世界来。
All looked colder and darker in that visionary hollow than in reality.
在虚幻的映像中,一切都显得比现实中更冷落、更阴沉。
And the strange little figure there gazing at me, with a white face and arms specking the gloom,
那个陌生的小家伙瞅着我,白白的脸上和胳膊上都蒙上了斑驳的阴影,
and glittering eyes of fear moving where all else was still, had the effect of a real spirit.
在—切都凝滞时,唯有那双明亮恐惧的眼睛在闪动,看上去真像是一个幽灵。
I thought it like one of the tiny phantoms, half fairy, half imp, Bessie's evening stories represented as coming out of lone,
我觉得她像那种半仙半人的小精灵,恰如贝茵在夜晚的故事中所描绘的那样,
ferny dells in moors, and appearing before the eyes of belated travellers. I returned to my stool.
从沼泽地带山蕨丛生的荒谷中冒出来,现身于迟归的旅行者眼前。我回到了我的矮凳上。