The "But He Gave Me His Number" Excuse
“可是他给了我电话号码”的借口
亲爱的格雷格,
I met a really cute guy at a bar this week. He gave me his number and told me to give him a call sometime.
我这礼拜在酒吧遇到了一个非常可爱的家伙。他给了我他的电话号码,让我给他打个电话。
I thought that was kind of cool, that he gave me control of the situation like that. I can call him, right?
我觉得那挺棒的,他给了我控制权。我可以打电话给他吗?
Signed Lauren
劳伦
Dear Control Freak,
亲爱的控制狂,
Did he give you control, or did he just get you to do the heavy lifting?
他是给你控制权了,还是只是给了你重担呢?
What he just did was a magic trick: It seems like he gave you control, but really he now gets to decide if he wants to go out with you—or even return your call.
他只是变了个戏法:看起来他给了你控制权,但实际上,他才有权决定是否和你出去,甚至给你回电话。
Why don't you take Copperfield's number, roll it in a newspaper, pour milk in it, and make it disappear.
你为什么不把科波菲尔德的电话用报纸卷起来,倒上牛奶让它消失呢。
Greg
格雷格
“Give me a call.” “E-mail me.” “Tell Joey we should all hang out sometime.”
“给我打个电话。”“给我发邮件。”“告诉乔伊我们应该找个时间出去玩儿。”
Don't let him trick you into asking him out.
别陷入他给你设置的约他出去的陷阱里。
When men want you, they do the work.
如果男人想见你的话,他们会约你出去的。
I know it sounds old school, but when men like women, they ask them out.
我知道这听起来像老一套,但是如果一个男人喜欢一个女人的话,他会约她出去的。
The "Maybe He Forgot to Remember Me" Excuse
亲爱的格雷格,
Okay, Greg. Listen to this one: I was at a conference for work and met a guy from another branch of my company.
好的,格雷格。听着,:我在一场工作会议上遇到了一个我们公司另一个部门的男人。
We hit it off immediately. He was just about to ask for my number, I swear, when the Big Blackout of 2003 happened.
我们立马看对眼了。我发誓,他正要问我电话号码来着,2003大停电发生了。
In the mayhem, I didn't get to give him my number.
在混乱中,我没能给他我的号码。
I think the Big Blackout of 2003 is a good enough excuse to call him, don't you think?
我觉得2003年大停电是个给他打电话的好借口,你觉得呢?
It's only common courtesy for me to check up on him, right?
问候他只是一般礼节对么?
If I don't call, he's probably going to be all sad thinking that I'm just not that into him.
如果我不给他打电话的话,他可能会以为我不是那么喜欢他而难过。
Judy
朱迪
Dear Judy Blackout,
亲爱的停电朱迪,
The city blacked out. He didn't.
是市里停电了,又不是他昏过去了。
You said you work for different branches of the same company.
你说你们在同一家公司的不同部门工作。
Certainly he wouldn't have to break a sweat to scroll through the company staff roster or interoffice e-mail listing to find you.
很显然他无需流一滴汗就能在公司员工花名册或局间的电子邮件清单里找到你。
And should he not be as resourceful as you are...I imagine that he has a mother, sister, or female friend that could show him how, if he was really interested.
即便他不像你一样资源丰富……我猜想他有一个妈妈,妹妹,或者女性朋友可以告诉他怎么做,如果他真的对你很感兴趣的话。
P.S. : Shame on you for using an eastern seaboard disaster as an excuse to call a guy up.
注:用一个东部沿海地区的灾害为借口给一个人打电话,我真以你为耻。
Regards Greg
格雷格祝安