Well, dude, I hear our next mum, Bridget,
我听说下一位妈妈
has quite an unconventional take on what makes a picnic dish
对野餐制作有非传统的见解.
Bridget grew up during the Second World War,
布丽吉特生于二战期间
and rationing really shaped her food memories.
限量配给塑造了她对食物的记忆
So, along with her daughter, Jennie and granddaughter, Georgie,
所以和她的女儿简妮,孙女乔治娅
they've promised to rustle up a modern spin on a 1940s picnic.
她将带来1940年代的现代菜
Now, look,picnics, that's why we're here.
我们来这里就是尝尝你们的美味野餐的
Picnics during the war weren't much fun, to be honest.
事实上战争时候的野餐不是那么有趣
As I say, we had hard boiled eggs and...
我们只有煮鸡蛋
Hard boiled eggs and wind!
就着西北风吃…
And wind! Absolutely. There wasn't much to put in the sandwiches.
是的!没有什么能和三明治一起吃的
I mean, picnics now are a different ball game, aren't they?
现在野餐则不同了
So, what are we going to start with today?
所以我们今天首先做什么菜
We're having windfall marmalade.
风落果橘子果酱
Hang on, dude,marmalade's made with oranges,
用橘子做得果酱?
but those windfalls can't be right,what's gannin' on?!
但这些水果不是橘子啊,这是怎么回事?
Was that a wartime thing as well?
也是受战争影响吗
Well, I think it was.
是的
I mean, I found the recipe in some old cookery book,
我在一些古老的食谱里也发现了这种做法
And I presume that it was done during the war,
我猜是战争期间的做法
and they put in the apples cos they couldn't get the oranges.
可能人们没法得到橘子就用苹果代替
I remember my mother and my father,
我记得我的哥哥和我的父亲
they would buy jam off markets and they would complain.
他们会买果酱后抱怨
They would go, "It's full of apples,"
全是苹果
and it must have been a thing to bulk it out.
他们可能想增加分量
I think that's right. And it was always a kind of damming thing,
我觉得是对的,用苹果增加分量让人不开心
as if they'd put up with it for years and then it was... Right.
他们也忍受了很多年
I always remember that.
我一直记得
But in fact, many wartime recipes were based on sound cookery ideas,
不过战时的食谱很多都是在正确烹饪理论的基础上的
and using apples in marmalade is definitely one of them.
其中之一就是苹果做果酱
Agh! Shall I help you pick them up?
我帮你摘那个吗
Are you all right, mate?
你还好吗?
Yeah, just a bit concussed.
只是有点脑震荡
With the apples collected,the actual marmalade recipe is a pretty traditional one.
摘完苹果后,做果酱的方法十分传统