Louis read the article to the end and then tore it out of the paper.
路易斯从头至尾读完后,把这篇文章从报上撕了下来。
"Sam Beaver ought to know about this," he thought.
“萨姆·比弗应该知道这些,”他想。
From the writing desk in his room, Louis took a pen and a sheet of letter paper. This is what he wrote:
路易斯从卧室的写字台里找出了一枝钢笔和一页信纸。他是这么写的:
Dear Sam: I am spending the night at the Ritz in fashionable surroundings.
亲爱的萨姆:我正在里兹的上流环境里过夜。
You were right about Boston-- it is very pleasant.
你关于波士顿的话是对的--这真是一个很不错的地方。
I was able to find work as soon as I arrived.
我一到这里就找到了工作。
I am associated with the Swan Boat at a salary of $100 a week.
我以每周一百美元的薪水为天鹅游艇工作。
You may be interested in the enclosed clipping from today's paper.
你可能会对信封里附上的今天报纸的剪报感兴趣。
If all goes well, I'll soon have enough money to pay my father's debt to the music store,
如果一切顺利的话,不久我就能有足够的钱来还我父亲欠乐器店的债了。
and then I will own the trumpet free and clear and will hope that by blowing it passionately
那时我将自由地,清白地拥有这把小号了。我还希望能凭我充满激情的吹奏,
I will be able to make a favorable impression on the young female I am in love with.
给我爱的那只年轻雌天鹅留下一个不可磨灭的美好印象。
Then everybody will be happy: my father's honor will be restored, the music shop in Billings will be repaid, and I can take a wife.
那时候大家都会得到幸福:我父亲的荣誉将被挽回,比林斯的乐器店将被修好,我也将有一位妻子了。
I hope you are well. I miss you.
我希望你过得不错。我想念你。
A hotel room, even though it has every convenience, can be a lonely place.
一个饭店的客房,虽然有种种便利,也还是一个叫你感到孤单的地方。
Your friend, Louis
你的朋友,路易斯
Louis addressed an envelope to Sam, folded the letter, fitted the newspaper clipping in, and found a six-cent stamp in his moneybag.
路易斯在一个信封上写好萨姆的地址,把信叠上,和那张剪报一起塞进了信封,然后他又从他的钱袋里找出一张六美分的邮票。
He sealed the envelope, pasted the stamp on, and dropped the letter in a mail chute outside the door of his room.
他封上信,贴好邮票,把信投到房门外的一个带滑槽的邮筒里。
"Now I'll go to sleep," he thought.
“现在我要睡觉了。”他想。