As a massive star contracts its gravity becomes so strong that light can no longer escape.
质量巨大的恒星收缩时 它的重力会变得如此之强 以至于连光都不再能逸出
The region from which nothing can escape is called a black hole and its boundary is called the event horizon.
依任何物质都无法逃离的边界划定一个范围 它的内部就是黑洞 而它的边界就是所谓的事件视界
One might say of the event horizon what Dante said of the entrance to hell "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
你不妨这么看待事件视界 像丹特所说 如同地狱的入口 "汝等进入此地 须弃绝一切所望"
I was once asked to actually be an adjudicator on an essay of which the subject was "How to fall through a black hole and live."
我曾被邀请作为评审员 来审核这样一篇论文 "如何进入一个黑洞并且生存下来"
Now, the problem I had was that I wouldn't know how to give out the prize.
审核它的困难在于 我不知道 怎样才能把奖颁给它
because if I said, "That looks like a good essay"
因为 如果我说 "这文章看起来不错"
the only real way of showing this was right was to actually follow it, to do the experiment and fall in.
那么唯一能证实它的方法就是 如文章所说 真的去做这么一个实验 进入黑洞
But then, having fallen in,I would assume taking the person who wrote the essay with you
可是 进入黑洞之后呢 我觉得把这文章的作者一起带进黑洞是个好主意
the question would be, how do you tell the rest of the world?
问题在于 你俩要如何把结果告诉世界上的其他人
Do you take the prize in that you give to them
要不要把颁给他们的奖带着
and what do they do with it when they get to the center?
而且他们进入到中心之后怎么办
Believe me I've been waiting a long time for someone like you to record this moment.
相信我 我已等待多时 等一个你这样的人 来记录这个伟大的时刻
Thank you, Doctor.Then I'm ready.Ready to embark on man's greatest journey.
谢谢你 博士 我准备好了 为人类最伟大的航行 我已经就绪
Certainly his riskiest.The risk is incidental compared to the possibility to possess the great truth of the unknown.
显然也是最冒险的 风险是多么的微不足道 获得有关未知的伟大真理的可能就在眼前
There...long-cherished laws of nature simply do not apply.
就在那里 自然的普适规则 将会被打破
They vanish.And life?Life?Life forever.
它们灰飞烟灭 那生命呢 生命 生命永恒