Unlike net worth-the difference between your assets and liabilities,
不像净资产被定义为资产和负债间的差额那样
which is often filled with a person's expensive junk and opinions of what things are worth.
这种定义常常与人们关于昂贵的古董以及某物值多少钱的观点相连。
This definition creates the possibility for developing a truly accurate measurement.
这样定义财富,就给了人们一种真实准确的财富衡量新方法。
I could now measure and really know where I was in terms of my goal to become financially independent.
现在我能衡量并且确切地知道我经济独立的目标已实现到哪一步了。
Although net worth often includes non-cash-producing assets, like
净资产通常包括那些非现金资产
stuff you bought that now sits in your garage.
例如:你买回后堆在车库里的原材料。
Wealth measures how much money your money is making and, therefore, your financial survivability.
财富则衡量着你的钱能够挣多少钱,以及你的财务生存能力。
Wealth is the measure of the cash flow from the asset column compared with the expense column.
财富是将资产项产生的现金与支出项流出的现金进行比较而定的。
Let's use an example. Let's say I have cash flow from my asset column of $1,000 a month.
让我们举个例子。比如说我的资产每月可产生1000美元。
And I have monthly expenses of $2,000. What is my wealth?
,可我每月要支出2000美元,那我还有什么财富可言呢?
Let's go back to Buckminster Fuller's definition.
让我们回到富勒的定义。
Using his definition, how many days forward can I survive?
以他的定义来看,我还能活几天呢?
And let's assume a 30-day month.
按一个月30天来算
By that definition, I have enough cash flow for half a month.
根据他的定义,我只能活半个月。
When I achieve $2,000 a month cash flow from my assets, then I will be wealthy.
如果我每月能从资产项得到2000美元,那我就有财富了。
I now have income generated from assets each month that fully covers my monthly expenses.
现在每个月我从资产项得到的现金收入与支出等量。
If I want to increase my expenses, I first must increase my cash flow from assets to maintain this level of wealth.
如果我想增加支出,就必须先增加资产项产生的现金来维持我的财富水平。
Take notice that it is at this point that I'm no longer dependent on my wages.
注意,这时我不再依赖工资。
I have focused on, and been successful in, building an asset column that has made me financially independent.
我集中精力建立资产项,并取得了成功,它使我实现了财务自由。
If I quit my job today, I would be able to cover my monthly expenses with the cash flow from my assets.
如果我辞职了,我也能用每月资产项产生的现金维持支出。
My next goal would be to have the excess cash flow from my assets reinvested into the asset column.
我的下个目标是用资产项中的剩余现金进行再投资。
The more money that goes into my asset column, the more my asset column grows.
流入资产项的钱越多,资产就增加得越快。
The more my assets grow, the more my cash flow grows.
资产增加得越快,现金流进来的就越多。
And as long as I keep my expenses less than the cash flow from these assets,
只要我把支出控制在资产项能够产生的现金之下
I will grow richer with more and more income from sources other than my physical labor.
我就会越来越富有,也会有越来越多的非劳动收入。
As this reinvestment continues, I am well on my way to being rich.
随着这种再投资过程的不断继续,我最终走上了致富之路。
So how do I start minding my own business?
那么我该怎样开始我的事业呢?
What is the answer? Listen to the founder of McDonald's.
答案是什么呢?请听麦当劳的创立者是怎么说的。