‘Here's the money,’said Boldwood,handing the soldier a purse of gold coins.
“给你钱,”伯德伍德说着,把一袋金币递给了那个兵。
‘Stop,listen!’said Troy in a whisper.
“等一下!你听!”托伊悄声说道。
Light footsteps could be heard on the road,coming from Bathsheba's house.
轻微的脚步声从路上传来,来自芭丝谢芭的房子。
‘It's Bathsheba!She's expecting me.
“是芭丝谢芭!她在等我,
I must go and speak to her,and say goodbye to her,as you and I have arranged. ’
我得跟她去说句话,告个别。按你我安排的那样。”
‘Why do you need to speak to her?’
“你干吗要和她说话?”
‘She'll look for me if I don't.
“我不和她说句话,她会找我的。
Don't worry,you'll hear every word I say to her.
别担心,我对她说的每个字都会让你听到的,
It may help you in your courting,when I've gone!
我走后,这些话对你追求她会有用处的。
Stand over there behind the tree,and listen. ’
过来站在树后听着。”
Troy stepped forward and whistled a double note.
托伊迈步向前,用口哨吹了一个双音。
‘Frank,darling,is that you?’It was Bathsheba's voice.
“弗兰克,亲爱的,是你吗?”这是芭丝谢芭的声音。
‘Oh God!’said Boldwood,unheard behind the tree.
“喔哟,天哪!”伯德伍德说道。不过因在树后,没有人听到。
‘Yes,it's me,’replied Troy
“是的,是我。”托伊回答道。
‘You're so late,Frank,’she continued.
“你来晚了,弗兰克,”她接着说。
‘The coach arrived a long time ago!
“马车早就到了!
Frank,it's so lucky!
弗兰克,咱们真走运!
There's nobody in my house except me tonight,so nobody will know about your visit. ’
今晚,我屋里除了我没有别人,谁也不会知道你来。”
‘Excellent,’said Troy.
“好极了,”托伊说。
‘But I'll just have to collect my bag,so you run home and I promise to be there in ten minutes. ’
“不过我得去拿我的包。这样吧,你先回去,我保证十分钟后到。”
‘Yes,Frank. ’She ran back to her house.
“好吧,弗兰克。”她跑回了家。
Troy turned to Boldwood,who had stepped out from behind the tree,his face white and his whole body trembling.
托伊向伯德伍德转过身去。伯德伍德从树后走出来,脸色惨白,浑身发抖。