On his way back to Coggan's house,Gabriel met Boldwood.
盖伯瑞尔在回考根家的路上,遇到了伯德伍德。
‘How are you,sir?’asked Gabriel.
“你好吗,先生?”盖伯瑞尔问道。
‘Yes,it's a wet day. Oh,I'm very well,thank you. ’
“是啊。下雨天。噢,我挺好的,谢谢。”
‘You look a little different,sir. ’
“你看上去有点异样,先生。”
‘No,you're wrong,Oak. I'm just the same.
“没有,奥克,你说错了。我还是那样。
Nothing hurts me. But you look tired. ’
没什么会让我悲伤。不过你倒是看着挺疲劳的。”
‘I've been working all night to get our ricks covered.
“我一整夜都在给麦垛盖稻草。
Never worked so hard in my life!Yours are safe of course,sir?’
一辈子还没这么狠干过呢!你的麦垛没事吧,先生?”
‘Oh yes. ’Boldwood added after a silence,‘What did you ask?’
“嗯,挺好的。”伯德伍德沉默了一会儿,又说,“你问什么来着?”
‘Your ricks are all covered?’
“你的麦垛都盖好了吗?”
‘No,none of them. I forgot to tell the men to thatch them.
“没有,一垛也没盖。我忘记对他们说了。
I expect most of my wheat will be destroyed in this rain. ’
我估计我的大部分麦子都让这场雨给毁了。”
‘Forgot,’repeated Gabriel to himself.
“忘记了,”盖伯瑞尔自语道。
It was difficult to believe that the most careful farmer in the area would lose all his harvest because of a moment's forgetfulness.
难以相信这一带最细心的农场主会因一时疏忽而失掉全部收成。
This would never have happened before Boldwood fell in love with Bathsheba.
这种事情在伯德伍德爱上芭丝谢芭以前是绝不可能发生的。
Boldwood clearly wanted to talk,although it was still raining heavily.
伯德伍德显然想说话,尽管天还下着大雨。
‘Oak,you knew I wanted to get married. ’
“奥克,你知道我曾想结婚吧。”
‘I thought my mistress was going to marry you,’said Gabriel sympathetically.
“我本以为我的女主人会嫁给你的,”盖伯瑞尔同情地说。
‘However,nothing that we expect ever happens. ’
“可是我们预料的事情没有发生。”
He spoke with the calmness of a man used to disaster.
他说话时语气平静,就象一个饱经灾患的人。
‘Perhaps the villagers laugh at me,’said Boldwood with a pretended lightness.
“可能村民们都在嘲笑我吧,”伯德伍德故作轻松地说。
‘Oh no,I don't think so. ’
“没有吧,我觉得不会。”
‘But the truth is that we were never engaged,so she never broke off the engagement,you see. ’
“但事实上我俩从未订过婚,所以她也从未违背婚约,你看是吧。”
But Boldwood could not remain calm. ‘Oh Gabriel,’he said wildly,‘I'm weak and foolish,and I feel it's better to die than to live!’
但是,伯德伍德无法保持平静。“盖伯瑞尔啊,”他激烈地说。“我又软弱,又蠢,我觉得活着还不如死了好!”
After a silence,he continued more normally. ‘I've accepted the fact of her refusal now.
沉 默了片刻,他恢复了常态,接着又说,“我接受了她的拒绝,
I'm sorry,of course,but no woman has ever controlled my life. Well,good morning. ’
当然,我很遗憾没有一个女人曾经支配过我的生命。好吧,就这样,再见。”