This is actually a courageous talk,
这真是一个无畏的演讲
because you're kind of setting up yourself in some ways to be ridiculed in some quarters.
在某些地方你似乎把自己当成了一个笑柄让大家嘲弄啊
You can get shot by both sides.
不管怎么说我都有可能被批评
You can get shot by the hard-headed atheists, and you can get shot by those who fully believe.
我可以被固执的无神论者批评,也可以被那些宗教人士扼杀
Incoming missiles from North Oxford at any moment.
任何时候都会被北牛津的导弹打趴
Indeed.
是啊
But you left out one aspect of religion that a lot of people might say
但是你漏掉了宗教的一个方面,很多人可能会说
your agenda could borrow from, which is this sense --
能借你的议程,这是种感觉--
that's actually probably the most important thing to anyone who's religious -- of spiritual experience,
可能是对信仰宗教人最重要的感觉--精神的体验
of some kind of connection with something that's bigger than you are.
某种与比你更伟大的东西的连接
Is there any room for that experience in Atheism 2.0?
在你的无神论2.0中,有没有类似的体验呢
Absolutely. I, like many of you, meet people who say things like,
当然啦,我像你们一样遇到很多人,他们说
"But isn't there something bigger than us, something else?"
"难道世界上不存在什么比我们人类更伟大的东西吗?"
And I say, "Of course." And they say, "So aren't you sort of religious?"
我说 "当然有啦"。他们说 "那你就是认同宗教的咯?"
And I go, "No."
我说 "不是啊"
Why does that sense of mystery, that sense of the dizzying scale of the universe,
为什么这些神秘的感觉,被宇宙的伟大所触动的感觉
need to be accompanied by a mystical feeling?
一定要和神扯上关系呢
Science and just observation gives us that feeling without it, so I don't feel the need.
科学和观察可以给我们那种感觉,这和神没有关系,所以我不觉得有相信神的必要
The universe is large and we are tiny, without the need for further religious superstructure.
宇宙很大,而我们很渺小,这不需要超自然学说来解释吧
So one can have so-called spiritual moments without belief in the spirit.
所以一个人可以有精神上的体验,即使他不相信有灵魂这东西
Actually, let me just ask a question.
好吧,现在让我问个问题
How many people here would say that religion is important to them?
在场观众们有多少是觉得宗教对他们是非常重要的呢
Is there an equivalent process by which there's a sort of bridge
有没有一种类似的说法,你们觉得他刚才说的和你们想说的
between what you're talking about and what you would say to them?
有种类似的地方呢