Chapter 18 Mr Boldwood's Christmas party
第十八章 伯德伍德先生举办圣诞宴会
For months Weatherbury people had been discussing the party that Mr Boldwood was going to give just before Christmas,
几个月来,威瑟伯里的人们一直在谈论伯德伍德先生将在圣诞节之前举行的宴会,
and now the day had finally arrived. Bathsheba was getting ready for it.
现在这一天终于来到了。芭丝谢芭正为赴宴作准备。
‘I'm upset,Liddy,it's foolish of me,I know,’she said.
“我挺心烦的,利蒂。我真蠢,我知道,”她说。
‘I wish I didn't have to go to the party.
“真希望我能不去。
I haven't spoken to Mr Boldwood since the autumn,when I promised to see him at Christmas,so I'll have to go.
去年秋天我答应圣诞节去见他,从那以后我就没和他说过什么话,所以,我是得去。
My black silk dress,please. ’
请给我穿上黑绸裙子。”
‘Surely you don't need to wear black tonight,ma'am?
“你今晚用不着穿黑吧,太太?
You've been a widow for fourteen months now. That's a long time. ’
你守寡已经14个月了,时间够长的了。”
‘No,if I wear a bright dress,people will say I'm encouraging Mr Boldwood.
“不行,我要是穿上鲜亮衣裙,人们会说我在鼓励伯德伍德先生。
How do I look,Liddy?’
你看我怎么样?”
‘I've hardly ever seen you look so lovely,ma'am. ’
“我还没怎么见过你这么漂亮呢,太太。”
‘I risk offending him if I don't go.
“如果我不去,就会得罪他。
Oh,I wish I could have continued as I've been for the last year or so,with no hopes or fears,and no pleasures and no sadness. ’
唉,真想继续过这一年多的这种日子,既没有希望,也没有恐惧,既没有欢乐,也没有哀愁。”
‘If Mr Boldwood asked you to run away with him,what would you say,ma'am?’said Liddy with a smile.
“如果伯德伍德先生要你和他远走高飞,你说什么呀,太太?”利蒂微笑着说。
‘Now,Liddy,no joking. This is far too serious.
“利蒂,别开玩笑了。这可是严肃的事。
I won't marry anyone for a long time. Get my cloak. It's time to go. ’
我嫁给谁都长不了。给我拿斗篷,该走了。”
At the same time,in his farmhouse,Boldwood was also dressing
这时,伯德伍德也在房里穿衣打扮。
He was trying on a new coat which had just been delivered. Tonight he wanted to look his best.
他正在试穿刚刚送到的一件新上衣。今晚,他想以最佳状态出场。