As she listened to the sweet voices of the children coming from the church,
她听着教堂里传来的孩子们甜美的嗓音,
and thought of the pain she had experienced in her short life,tears came to her eyes.
想着自己这短短的生活中所经历的痛苦,不禁热泪盈眶。
She wished she were as innocent as those children again.
她真希望自己也能像那些孩子一般天真无邪。
She was still crying when she suddenly noticed Gabriel Oak,who had come up the path on his way to the church,and was watching her sympathetically.
她正哭着,突然注意到盖伯瑞尔·奥克已在向教堂走来,正同情地注视着她。
‘Are you going in?’she asked,trying to dry her tears.
“你要进教堂去吗?”她边问,边把泪水擦干。
‘I was,’he replied. ‘I'm one of the church singers,you know,and tonight's my practice evening.
“我本来要去的,”他答道。“我是教堂唱诗班的,今晚轮到我排练。
But I don't think I'll go in now. ’There was a pause,while they both tried to think of something to say.
不过,我现在不想进去了。”两人都顿住了,都在尽力找话说。
At last Gabriel said slowly,‘I haven't seen you,to speak to,for a long time. Are you better now?’
最后,盖伯瑞尔缓缓地说:“有好长时间没有见你,也没有和你说话了。你现在好些了吗?”
‘Yes,I am,’she replied. ‘I came to look at the gravestone. ’
“好些了,”她回答。“我来看看这墓碑。”
‘Eight months ago it happened!’said Gabriel. ‘It seems like yesterday to me. ’
“八个月以前的事了!”盖伯瑞尔说。“可我觉得好像是昨天一样。”
‘And to me it seems like years,long years ago. ’
“我可觉得像好多、好多年以前似的。”
‘There's something I must tell you,’said Gabriel,hesitating.
“我有话得告诉你,”盖伯瑞尔犹豫地说。
‘The fact is,I won't be your farm manager much longer. I'm thinking of leaving England,and farming in America. ’
“我不能再为你经管农场了,我在考虑离开英国,去美国种地。”