No one has ever lived who knows better than you the proper placement of footfalls on treacherous paths.
你比谁都清楚 官场上的那些权谋算计
Seward can't do it. You must.
苏厄德不做 你就要去做
Because if you fail to acquire the necessary votes,woe unto you, sir, you will answer to me.
如果你不能拿到必要的选票 你就麻烦了 想想到时候你怎么向我交代
I know the vote is only four days away.I know you're concerned.
我知道还有4天就要投票了 我知道您很担心
Thank you for your concern over this,and I want you to know, they'll approve it.
谢谢您为这件事如此操劳 我想告诉您 修正案会通过的
God will see to it.I don't envy him His task.
上帝会保佑的 我可不羡慕上帝的工作
He may wish He'd chosen an instrument for His purpose more wieldy than the House of Representatives.
相对于去向众议员拉票 他可能会采取一种更加合适的方法来实现目的
Then you'll see to it.Are you afraid of what lies ahead for your people?
那么你会确保它通过的 你有没有担心过你们的未来
If we succeed?White people don't want us here.
如果我们通过了 白人不会希望我们呆在这
Many don't. What about you?I don't know you, Mrs. Keckley.
很多人可能不会 您呢 我并不了解您 凯克莉夫人
Any of you.You're familiar to me, as all people are.
不了解你们的任何一员 我很熟悉你们 你们所有人
Unaccommodated, poor, bare,forked creatures such as we all are.
我眼中的你们 居无定所 食不果腹 贫穷却又勤劳
You have a right to expect what I expect,
但是你们有权利期待我所期待的一切
and likely our expectations are not incomprehensible to each other.
我们也能理解彼此的期盼