Some of you know the story. So the inventor of the chess game.
有些人可能知道这个故事 象棋游戏的发明人
He was in India, and went to the local king. The king was very impressed with the game and said.
他在印度 去见当地的国王 国王很喜欢这个游戏并说
How can I reward you? And the chess player said, No, it' OK really.
我要如何奖赏你? 象棋发明者说 不必 真得不用奖赏
The king said, No. I want to reward you. How can I rewards you.
国王说不 我想奖赏你 我要怎样奖赏你?
So the chess inventor of the chess game said, Ok. What I like is on the first block.
于是象棋发明者说 好吧 我希望
First square, I would like one grain of rice.
在第一个方格上 我想要一粒大米
On the second, I'd like two grains of rice. On the third, four grains of rice and so on and so on.
在第二个方格上 我想要两粒大米 第三个方格四粒大米 以此类推
That's my request. And the king said, Are you sure that's all you want.
那就是我的要求 国王问你确定只想要那么多?
I'm prepared to give you a lot. This is a wonderful game.
我可以给你更多奖赏 这是一个很好玩的游戏
And the inventor said, Yes. So the king told his assistant to go and get the man.
发明人说我确定 国王指示助手
Give the man his wish. When they started to calculate.
去实现他的愿望 当他们开始计算
How much rice would be need to fill up all blocks, all the way to 2 to the power 63.
需要多少粒米填满所有方格时 从第二格到第63格
They realized that the rice could fill up the entire world with a thick layer.
他们发现米粒 能厚厚地覆盖全世界
Again, misleading fail to understand it because we don't understand.
再一次 误导...... 没有理解指数函数 因为我们不理解
The nature of exponential change. Another last one.
指数变化的本质 最后一个例子
So how many time do you think you all have a piece of paper in front you.
你们认为需要折多少次 你们面前都有一张纸