Sitting in an awkward position for a long time can promote poor posture,
长时间别扭的坐姿会进一步加重不良姿势,
and so can using computers or mobile devices, which encourage you to look downward.
电脑和手机的使用也会有同样效果,因为电子产品会促使你向下看。
Many studies suggest that, on average, posture is getting worse.
很多研究表明,通常来讲人们的姿势越来越糟糕。
So what does good posture look like?
所以正确的姿势看起来是什么样的呢?
When you look at the spine from the front or the back,
当你从前方或者后方观察脊椎时,
all 33 vertebrae should appear stacked in a straight line.
所有的33根脊椎骨看起来应该在同一条直线上。
From the side, the spine should have three curves:
从侧面观察,脊柱应该有三个曲线。
one at your neck, one at your shoulders, and one at the small of your back.
一个在脖子处,一个在肩膀处,还有一个小弯曲在背部。
You aren't born with this s-shaped spine. Babies' spines just have one curve like a "c."
这个S曲线不是与生俱来的。婴儿的脊椎只有一个弧度,就像字母C一样。
The other curves usually develop by 12-18 months as the muscles strengthen.
其他的弯曲通常会在12-18个月发育成型,与肌肉力量的增长同步。
These curves help us stay upright and absorb some of the stress from activities like walking and jumping.
这些弯曲帮助我们直立,并帮助我们分担一部分来自于走路和跳跃的压力。
If they are aligned properly, when you're standing up,
如果它们被排成一条直线。当你站立时,
you should be able to draw a straight line from a point just in front of your shoulders,
你能够画上一条直线,从你的肩膀正前方经过
to behind your hip, to the front of your knee, to a few inches in front of your ankle.
臀部的正后方、穿过膝盖的前方,直到你脚踝前方几英寸。
This keeps your center of gravity directly over your base of support,
这让你的重心正好在你的支撑面的正上方,
which allows you to move efficiently with the least amount of fatigue and muscle strain.
让你能够更有效率的移动,同时减少了肌肉的绷紧与疲劳。
If you're sitting, your neck should be vertical, not tilted forward.
如果你正坐着,你的脖子应当是竖直的,而不是向前倾斜。
Your shoulders should be relaxed with your arms close to your trunk.
你的双肩应当放松,双臂靠近躯干。
Your knees should be at a right angle with your feet flat on the floor.
你的膝盖应在正确的角度,且脚掌平放接触地面。