I'm in the Torres Strait,near Papua New Guinea,
我身处巴布亚新几内亚附近 托雷斯海峡中
on a small deserted island where there's little sign of food, water, or wildlife.
一个荒无人烟的小岛上 这里生命罕至 食物和水补给也不充足
There's a larger island which promises more resources,
对岸那座大岛上 蕴藏着更多的资源
but getting there means crossing a tidal channel full of sharks.
但是到达那里意味着 必须穿过这条布满鲨鱼的海峡
Well, this is the bit of sand that I want to use to get across to the other island.
要到对面的岛上去 这片沙地能帮到我的忙
Thing is,there are sharks like this one here all in this water.I'm seeing loads of these,
现在的情况是 像这样的鲨鱼水里到处都是 我看到了一大群
and that's what I want to watch out for.
我对此必须格外警惕
This strait is a natural funnel for the sharks' prey,which is why they're everywhere here.
这条海峡是鲨鱼掠食的"风水宝地" 所以它们在这里横行
Before crossing, I have to take precautions.
横渡海峡之前 我必须做好准备工作
Okay, let's get some sort of stick before we do this.Come on.
好吧 下水前 咱们先找些棍子来 来吧
A driftwood pole will provide me with some protection.
一根浮杆能给我提供些保护
We're gonna need this just to help us in the wind, as well,with this current.
这个东西也能帮我们测到 现行的风向
Let's get into this.It's a tricky crossing of about 200 yards to the other island.
开始吧 横渡这条200码宽的 海峡绝非易事
The tide is on the turn,and I don't want to be trapped midstream in fast-rising waters.
潮水要转向了 我可不想被困在 飞速上涨的激流当中
Now, you stick really close to me on this.
现在 这次你们要好好跟紧我
Good, positive stance. Just get across it, all right?
很好 一鼓作气 渡过去 好吧
I need you to help me keep an eye out, though.
你们还得帮我盯着点呢
Some shark attacks occur in as little as 2 feet of water.
有些鲨鱼攻击事件 发生在仅两英尺深的近岸处
Not far south of here in 2006,a woman was attacked and killed by three sharks in waist-deep water only 15 yards from the beach.
2006年 从这往南不远的地方 一个女人在离海岸15码远处 被三只鲨鱼攻击致死 那里的水不过齐腰深