So oft have I invoked thee for my Muse
蒙你的垂顾我常得灵感的奖赏,
And found such fair assistance in my verse
托你的荫庇我这才诗心不僵。
As every alien pen hath got my use
于是另一些诗客群起而学步,
And under thee their poesy disperse.
并借你的庇护使诗作传扬。
Thine eyes that taught the dumb on high to sing
你的双眸曾教会哑子引吭歌唱,
And heavy ignorance aloft to fly
曾教会沉重的无知在高空飞翔,
Have added feathers to the learned's wing
曾借来羽翼使学人双翅生风,
And given grace a double majesty.
曾赋予高士鸿儒威名远荡。
Yet be most proud of that which I compile,
然而你引以为豪者是我的华章,
Whose influence is thine and born of thee:
它们因你而生,全是你的儿郎。
In others' works thou dost but mend the style,
对别人的诗作你只是改进其诗风,
And arts with thy sweet graces graced be;
有你的美质撑腰,他们才文采飞扬。
But thou art all my art and dost advance
但我的诗才不过是你诗魂的重现,
As high as learning my rude ignorance.
是你让我的粗陋分华到博学高尚。