'Ellen,Ellen! 'she sobbed. 'Is Father still alive?'
“艾伦,艾伦!”她呜咽着。“父亲还活着吗?”
'Yes,' I cried, 'and thank God you're safe with us again!'
“是的,”我哭了,“感谢上帝你又平平安安地回到了我们身边!”
'I managed to make Linton help me escape from the room! Now I must see Father!'
“我想法儿让林顿帮我逃出了那房间!现在我得见父亲!”
I could not bear to be present at their meeting. I waited outside the bedroom door. But they were both calm.
他们会面时我不忍在场。我在卧室门外等着。但他们俩都很平静。
Cathy's despair was as silent as her father's happiness.
凯茜的绝望和她父亲的欣慰都在沉默中表达了。
He died in perfect peace, Mr Lockwood. Kissing her, he whispered, 'I'm going to join her, and you, dear child, will join us!'
他是非常安祥地死去的,洛克伍德先生。他亲着她,微弱地说,“我要去见她了,而你,亲爱的孩子,也会和我们团聚的!”
He did not move or speak again.
他再也没有动、没有说话。
Cathy did not cry,but sat silently by his dead body all morning.
凯茜没哭,但整个上午都在他的遗体旁默默地坐着。
At lunch-time the lawyer arrived, too late to help Cathy.
午饭时律师来了,太晚了,已帮不了凯茜。
Heathcliff had bribed him to stay away. He gave us Heathcliff's orders.
希斯克利夫贿赂了他要他别管这事,他传达了希斯克利夫的指令。
All the servants except me had to leave.
除我之外,所有的仆人都被遣走了。
Cathy, Mrs Heathcliff now, was only allowed to stay at the Grange until her father was buried.
只允许凯茜,现在是希斯克利夫夫人,在她父亲下葬前住在画眉山庄。