Chapter 17 Mr Lockwood visits Wuthering Heights again
17 洛克伍德先生再访呼啸山庄
1802 After hearing the end of Mrs Dean's story, I made my plans for the future.
1802年。听完了迪恩夫人的故事,我为自己的将来做好了计划。
I decided I did not want to spend another winter at the Grange,and told her I would ride to the Heights to inform my landlord.
我拿定主意不想在画眉山庄过第二个冬天了,我告诉她我要骑马到呼啸山庄去通知我的房东。
She handed me a letter to give to Cathy Heathcliff.
她交给我一封信要我带给凯茜·希斯克利夫。
When I arrived at the gate,Hareton met me and took me into the house.
我到大门口时,哈里顿迎我进了房子。
Cathy was there,preparing vegetables for lunch. She did not bother to greet me.
凯茜在,正准备午餐用的蔬菜。她懒得和我打招呼。
'She may be beautiful,' I thought, 'but she's not very polite.'
“她也许漂亮,”我想,“可她太无礼了。”
I passed by her chair, and cleverly dropped Mrs Dean's note in front of her, so that Hareton wouldn't see it.
走过她的椅子时我巧妙地把迪恩夫人的便条丢在她面前,这样哈里顿就看不见了。
She, however, just said aloud, 'What's that?'
可她却大声说道,“那是什么?”
'A letter from the housekeeper at the Grange,' I said, annoyed with her.
“画眉山庄女管家的信,”我说,有些生她的气。
She gasped, and tried to pick it up, but Hareton got there first.
她愣了一下,刚想要拣起来,但哈里顿先拿到了。
'Mr Heathcliff will want to look at this,' he said ,putting it in his pocket.
“希斯克利夫先生会想看看的,”他说,把信揣进了口袋里。
But when Cathy pretended to cry, Hareton could not bear to make her sad, and he threw the letter down on the table.
可当凯茜假装哭的时候,哈里顿不忍让她伤心,把信扔到桌子上。