The matrons, meantime, offered vinaigrettes and wielded fans;
同时太太们递上了香嗅瓶,摇起扇来。
And again and again reiterated the expression of their concern that their warning had not been taken in time.
还因为没有及时接受她们的劝告,而一再露出不安的表情。
And the elder gentlemen laughed, and the younger urged their services on the agitated fair ones.
年长的男士们大笑不止,年青的赶紧去给美丽的女士压惊。
In the midst of the tumult, and while my eyes and ears were fully engaged in the scene before me,
在这一片混乱之中,我的耳目被眼前的情景所吸引。
I heard a hem close at my elbow. I turned, and saw Sam.
这时我听见身旁有人清了清嗓子。回头一看,见是萨姆。
If you please, miss, the gipsy declares that there is another young single lady in the room who has not been to her yet,
对不起,小姐,吉卜赛人说,房子里还有一位未婚年青女士没有去见她,
and she swears she will not go till she has seen all.
她发誓不见到所有的人就不走。
I thought it must be you. There is no one else for it. What shall I tell her?
想必这就是你。没有其他人了。我怎么去回话呢?
"Oh, I will go by all means," I answered.
"呵,我一定去,"我回答。
And I was glad of the unexpected opportunity to gratify my much-excited curiosity.
我很高兴能有这个意外的机会满足我大大激起了的好奇心。
I slipped out of the room, unobserved by any eye — for the company were gathered in one mass about the trembling trio just returned
我溜出房间,谁也没有看到我 — 因为众人聚在一起,围着刚回来依然哆嗦着的三个人
and I closed the door quietly behind me.
随手轻轻地关上门。
"If you like, miss," said Sam, "I'll wait in the hall for you, and if she frightens you, just call and I'll come in."
"对不起,小姐,"萨姆说,"我在厅里等你,要是她吓着你了,你就叫一下,我会进来的。"
No, Sam, return to the kitchen. I am not in the least afraid.
不用了,萨姆,你回到厨房去吧。我一点也不怕。
Nor was I, but I was a good deal interested and excited.
我倒算是不怕的,不过我很感兴趣,也很激动。