Hello, welcome back to Tip Top Trading where Anna is going downstairs to speak to warehouse manager, Mr Ingle.
你们好,欢迎回到Tip Top Trading,安娜正往楼下走准备跟仓库经理英格尔先生谈谈。
You’re looking a bit nervous…I am. Denise says if I speak to him in the wrong way, he might bite my head off!
你看起来有点紧张……确实。丹尼斯说如果我说话的方式不对,他可能会咬掉我的头(发怒)!
Relax Anna. It’s just an expression to mean he might be a bit aggressive.
放松,安娜。这种表达只是说他可能会有点生气。
You’ll be fine, just use the right polite phrases… oh, and smile!OK, I will. Oh look here I am…
不会有事的,只要使用正确的礼貌用语,并且微笑!好的,我会的,看,我到了。
Mr Ingle, are you there?I’d be most grateful if you could give me some…
英格尔先生,你在那里吗?我会很感激的,如果你能给我一些……
Oh, what’s that smell… and smoke… Mr Ingle!Mr Ingle. You’re smoking!
这是什么味,还有烟……英格尔先生!英格尔先生,你在抽烟!
Well… it’s my lunch break… so I’m allowed to smoke a cigarette, aren’t I?Really? Are you sure?
这是我的午休时间,所以我可以吸烟,不是吗?真的?你确定?
No, he’s not Anna! Smoking inside a public building is illegal – it’s against the law.
不,他不行,安娜!在公共场合内吸烟是违法的。
It’s dangerous too - you’ve got to do something about this.
这还很危险,你得做点什么。
Oh right. Mmm, er, Mr Ingle, you mustn’t smoke… it’s wrong.Says who? Err, Me?
好吧。英格尔先生,你不能吸烟,这是不对的。谁说的? 我?
Anna. You’ll have to do better than that.Be polite, but be firm too.
安娜,你应该做得比刚才更好才对。礼貌点,但是也要态度坚定。
Try saying, ‘would you mind not doing that please?’
试着说,“请你不要这么做,好吗?”
I’ll try. Mr Ingle, would you mind not doing that please?Why’s that then?He’s not being very nice is he?
我试试。英格尔先生,请你不要这么做,好吗?怎么了?他并不是很友好,是吧?
You need to give your reasons. Say, ‘I’m afraid it’s against company policy’.Go on you can do it.
你要给出原因。比如,“恐怕这违反了公司政策”。加油,你能做到。
Mr Ingle… I’m afraid it’s against company policy.
英格尔先生,恐怕这违反了公司政策。
And… it is actually against the law to smoke here… and… it’s not a nice smell, is it?Well, smells OK to me.
在这里抽烟违反了法律,而且味道也不好闻,不是吗?我没觉得不好闻。
Well, I’m sorry to have to ask you this but you need to put it out.Put what out – the cat? !
抱歉我必须这么说,但是你得熄灭它。放什么出去,猫?!
No. You need to extinguish your cigarette… please.Says who?
不是,请你要熄灭你的烟。谁说的?
Well, I’m sure your team wouldn’t like to see you breaking the law and besides, it could cause a fire. That would be awful.
我想你的团队成员可不想看到你违反法律,还有可能引发火灾。这样就坏了。
Yeah, I suppose it would.I could get you some nicotine gum if you like?
是,可能会吧。我可以给你一些尼古丁口香糖,如果你需要的话?
No, it’s OK.I’ll stub it out… as you asked so nicely.
不用了,谢谢。我会把烟灭掉的……看在你好心提醒我的份上。
Thank you Mr Ingle. We’ll keep it a secret this time, but please don’t do it again.
非常感谢,英格尔先生。我们就把这次的事情保密,但是请别再吸烟了。
I’m afraid it’s just not permitted on company premises.Yeah, whatever!
在公司里抽烟是被禁止的。无所谓!
Oh and Mr Ingle, I still really like your overalls. Bye!
对了,英格尔先生,你的工作服很好看。再见!
Nice one Anna. You dealt with Mr Ingle really well.
干得好,安娜。在英格尔先生这件事上你处理的很棒。
You kept your cool and explained the reasons why he shouldn’t smoke.
你很冷静,也解释了他不能吸烟的理由。
Let’s hope he doesn’t do it again Anna.
希望他下次不会再犯了,安娜。
I hope not. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.
但愿如此。我不喜欢闻香烟的味道。
But I never got to ask him about stock management.
但是我再也不想去问他关于库存管理系统的事了。
Well, maybe it’s best to leave it for another time?
或许你可以下次再问?
Anna’s had a tricky day so far dealing with Mr Ingle but she was firm and fair in the language she used.
安娜的这一天可真不容易啊,不过她态度很坚定,说的话也很有道理。
Here’s a reminder of the phrases she used: Would you mind not doing that please?
下面再来看一下她都用了哪些话:你可不可以不要那样做?
I’m afraid it’s against company policy.I’m afraid it’s not permitted.Sorry to have to ask you this but…
恐怕那样有违公司规定。那样做恐怕是不允许的。很抱歉让你这样做,但是……
Anna, there you are…. (sniffing) Have you been smoking? No!You smell of cigarette smoke.
安娜,你在这儿啊……你是不是吸过烟? 没有。你身上有香烟的味道。
Look, I know you’re under pressure – but smoking in the building is not permitted. Bbbut…
我知道你最近压力比较大,但是公司规定不允许在室内吸烟。 但……
We take this very seriously. You had better step in to my office and we’ll talk about this.
这件事我们要严肃对待。你最好来我办公室一趟,我们聊聊。
Oh dear! Anna’s in trouble for no reason.
天啊!安娜被冤枉了。
Let’s hope she explains the mix-up, but that means telling Paul about Mr Ingle smoking.
希望她能解释好这一切,但这就意味着要告诉保罗关于英格尔先生吸烟的事。
This is going to be difficult.Until next time, bye!
这可就不好办了。我们下次再见,再见。