Does that circumstance exclude him from the list of your acquaintance — blot him, as it were, out of existence?
难道因为这临时的情况,你就把他排除在熟人之外——仿佛完全抹煞他的存在?
No, but I can scarcely see what Mr. Rochester has to do with the theme you had introduced.
不,但我几乎不明白罗切斯特先生与你提出的主题有什么关系。
I was talking of ladies smiling in the eyes of gentlemen.
我刚才谈到女士们在先生们眼前笑容满面。
And of late so many smiles have been shed into Mr. Rochester's eyes that they overflow like two cups filled above the brim.
最近那么多笑容注进了罗切斯特先生的眼里,他的双眼就像两只满得快要溢出来的杯子。
Have you never remarked that?
你对此从来没有想法吗?
Mr. Rochester has a right to enjoy the society of his guests.
罗切斯特先生有权享受同宾客们交往的乐趣。
No question about his right.
毫无问题他有这权利。
But have you never observed that, of all the tales told here about matrimony,
可是你没有觉察到吗,这里所议论到的婚姻传闻中,
Mr. Rochester has been favoured with the most lively and the most continuous?
罗切斯特先生有幸被人谈得最起劲,而且人们一直兴趣不减吗?
The eagerness of a listener quickens the tongue of a narrator.
听的人越焦急,说的人越起劲。
I said this rather to myself than to the gipsy, whose strange talk, voice, manner, had by this time wrapped me in a kind of dream.
我与其说是讲给吉卜赛人听,还不如说在自言自语。这时吉卜赛人奇怪的谈话、噪音和举动己使我进入了一种梦境。
One unexpected sentence came from her lips after another, till I got involved in a web of mystification.
意外的话从她嘴里一句接一句吐出来,直至我陷进了一张神秘的网络。
And wondered what unseen spirit had been sitting for weeks by my heart watching its workings and taking record of every pulse.
怀疑有什么看不见的精灵,几周来一直守在我心坎里,观察着心的运转,记录下了每次搏动。
"Eagerness of a listener!" repeated she,
"听的人越焦急?"她重复了一遍。
yes, Mr. Rochester has sat by the hour,
不错,此刻罗切斯特先生是坐在那儿,
his ear inclined to the fascinating lips that took such delight in their task of communicating.
侧耳倾听着那迷人的嘴巴在兴高彩烈地交谈。
And Mr. Rochester was so willing to receive and looked so grateful for the pastime given him; you have noticed this?
罗切斯特先生十分愿意接受,并且后来十分感激提供给他的消遣,你注意到这点了吗?
Grateful! I cannot remember detecting gratitude in his face.
感激!我并不记得在他脸上察觉到过感激之情。