"And how long have you been shut away in here?"
“您在这里面关了多久啦?”
"From that day to this, two long weary years—two years, my Pinocchio, which have been like two centuries."
“打那一天到现在,都有两个漫长的年头了。我的皮诺乔,这两个年头我觉得就像两个世纪。”
"And how have you lived? Where did you find the candle?
“您是怎么生活的?您从哪儿弄来的这蜡烛?
And the matches with which to light it—where did you get them?"
点蜡烛的火柴又是从哪拿的?”
"You must know that, in the storm which swamped my boat, a large ship also suffered the same fate.
“你一定知道,我那小船在风暴里沉没了,一艘商船也遭遇了同样的命运。
The sailors were all saved, but the ship went right to the bottom of the sea,
海员全都得救了,可是船直沉到海底。
and the same Terrible Shark that swallowed me, swallowed most of it."
吞下我的这条鲨鱼差不多把整个船都吞了。”
"What! Swallowed a ship?" asked Pinocchio in astonishment.
“什么?吞了一艘船?”皮诺乔震惊地问。
"At one gulp. The only thing he spat out was the main-mast, for it stuck in his teeth.
“一口就吞了。它只吐掉了一根主桅,因为主桅卡在它的牙缝里了。
To my own good luck, that ship was loaded with meat,
我运气好,这条船装的是肉、
preserved foods, crackers, bread, bottles of wine, raisins, cheese, coffee, sugar, wax candles, and boxes of matches.
罐头、饼干、面包、一瓶瓶的酒、葡萄干、奶酪、咖啡、糖、蜡烛和一箱箱火柴。
With all these blessings, I have been able to live happily on for two whole years, but now I am at the very last crumbs.
多谢老天爷,我又能幸福地活上两年,可我现在已经弹尽粮绝了。