Dialogue 1
Mark: Hi, Jingjing. You seem to have a good energy about you today—I mean, even better than usual.
马克:嗨,京晶,你看起来今天活力满满,我是说,比平时状态还好呢。
Jingjing: Can you guess the reason?
京晶:你能猜下原因吗?
Mark: Well, I'd rather not take a shot in the dark. How about you just tell me?
马克:嗯,我宁愿不乱猜。你直接告诉我怎么样?
Jingjing: I joined a gym, and have been going there several times a week.
京晶:我加入了一个健身房,一周去几次。
Mark: That's great, and kind of a coincidence too.
马克:那很好啊!有点巧合
Jingjing: How do you mean?
京晶:这是什么意思?
Mark: I joined a gym also. The bad thing is I haven't been going there much.
马克:我也加入了一个健身房。不好的是,我并没有去得太多。
Jingjing: Even if you go once or twice a week, it's much better than nothing.
京晶:即使你一周去个一两次也比不去强。
Mark: Yeah, but I've only been going once a week. And, last week, I didn't go at all.
马克:是啊。但是我最近一周只去一次。还有,上一周,完全没去。
Jingjing: Yikes. Do you enjoy going, when you make it there?
京晶:哎呀妈呀!你去健身的时候,你享受这个过程吗?
Mark: Yeah, actually, I have a good time once I drag myself out there.
马克:享受啊。事实上,一旦我把自己拖到健身房,我还练得很愉快。
Jingjing: Well, I hope to hear good news next time we see each other, that you've gone a few more times.
京晶:好吧,我希望下次我们见面的时候我能听到好消息,那就是,你已经多去了几次。
Mark: That'll motivate me to get off the sofa.
马克:那会激励我离开沙发!
Jingjing: Ha ha. I'll bet!
京晶:哈哈,肯定!
New words: 习语短语
a shot in the dark 随便猜测
(to take a guess, without knowing enough)
coincidence 巧合
(two very similar things happening at the same time)
better than nothing 还行,总比没有好
(good, but not as good as possible)
drag (someone or oneself) 拖一个不情愿的人去某地或做某事
(to get a reluctant person to go somewhere)
Dialogue 2
Mark and Jingjing meet up later in the week.
马克和京晶一周晚些时候又见面了
Mark: Jingjing, could you push that chair over to me? I wanna put my bag down on it.
马克:京晶,你能把这把椅子推给我吗?我想把我的袋子放在上面。
Jingjing: Mark, don't tell me you're that weak; you can't even get a chair that's closer to you than it is to me.
马克:马克,你可别告诉我你已经虚弱不堪了,你甚至都拿不到一把离你比离我还近的椅子了。
Mark: No no, it's not that.
马克:不不,不是那样的。
Jingjing: Did you make it to the gym?
京晶:你去健身房了吗?
Mark: I did, but only yesterday.
马克:去了,不过只是昨天。
Jingjing: Let me guess: you're sore now.
京晶:让我猜猜,你今天浑身酸痛吧?
Mark: That's the long and short of it. I felt so bad about going for almost two weeks without a workout that I overdid it.
马克:可以说一言以蔽之吧。去健身房快两周了还没开始练,一练就过头了,感觉真不好。
Jingjing: Ha ha. That's why it's good to go to the gym more often.
京晶:哈哈,这就是为什么要经常去健身房锻炼。
Mark: Yeah, I really need to follow your example and hit the gym several times a week.
马克:是啊,我真的需要以你为范例,一周多去几次健身房。
Jingjing: Well, I shouldn't have bragged last time. I hope it didn't make you feel bad.
京晶:那个,我上周也不应该吹牛。希望我没有让你感觉太糟糕。
Mark: Naw, I only feel bad because I tried to make up for lost time.
马克:并没有。我唯一感到不快的是因为试图弥补那些浪费的时间。
Jingjing: Maybe we can compare notes next time.
京晶:也许我们下次可以互相分享一些想法。
Mark: Sounds good. I could use some pointers.
马克:听上去不错。我也可以用到一些忠告。
Jingjing: Cool. Don't forget to remind me.
京晶:好极了。别忘了提醒我哦
New words: 习语短语
Make it (there) 按计划到达某地
(go somewhere as planned)
sore 肌肉酸痛的
(dull bodily pain, muscle pain, usually from heavy or improper exercise)
the long and short of it 总之,大意,一言以蔽之
(the main idea of a story, the summary or conclusion)
overdo something 过度做某事
(to do too much of an activity, so that it's harmful)
hit 去某地
(go to)
compare notes 分享想法 看法
(share ideas)
pointers 建议
(pieces of advice)