"What makes you sound so down-hearted?
“是什么让你的声音那么伤感呢?
I should think you'd be terribly happy about this."
我以为这件喜事会让你快乐无比。”
"Oh, don't pay any attention to me," said Charlotte.
“噢,别管我,”夏洛说,
"I just don't have much pep any more.
“我只是再没有力气了。
I guess I feel sad because I won't ever see my children."
我想我觉得难过,是因为我将看不到我这些孩子了。”
"What do you mean you won't see your children!
“你看不到你的孩子,这是什么意思?
Of course you will. We'll all see them.
你当然看得到。我们全都看得到它们。
It's going to be simply wonderful next spring in the barn cellar
这简直是了不起,来年春天谷仓底
with five hundred and fourteen baby spiders running around all over the place.
有五百十四只蜘蛛宝宝到处奔来跑去。
And the geese will have a new set of goslings,
那些鹅要有新一代鹅宝宝,
and the sheep will have their new lambs ..."
那些羊又有它们的小羊羔……”
"Maybe," said Charlotte quietly.
“也许吧,”夏洛安静地说,
"However, I have a feeling I'm not going to see the results of last night's efforts.
“不过我有一种感觉,我不会看到昨天夜里辛苦工作的成果。
I don't feel good at all.
我一点不觉得舒服。
I think I'm languishing, to tell you the truth."
对你说实话,我想我在衰竭。”
Wilbur didn't understand the word "languish"
威尔伯不明白“衰歇”是什么意思,
and he hated to bother Charlotte by asking her to explain.
但不想问夏落,免得麻烦它解释。
But he was so worried he felt he had to ask.
不过它实在太担心,觉得又只好问它。
"What does 'languishing' mean?"
“‘衰竭’是什么意思?”
"It means I'm slowing up, feeling my age.
“就是感到老了,越来越没有力气了。
I'm not young any more, Wilbur.
我不再年轻啦,威尔伯。
But I don't want you to worry about me.
不过我不要你为我担心。
This is your big day today.
今天是你的大好日子。
Look at my web - doesn't it show up well with the dew on it?"
你看看我的网——上面有露水,它看上去不是很漂亮吗?”