Introduction: Internalizing the Revolution
导言:内心的革命
I got pregnant with my first child in the summer of 2004.
2004年夏天,我怀上了第一个孩子,
At the time, I was running the online sales and operations groups at Google.
那时,我正在负责管理谷歌公司的在线销售与运营团队。
I had joined the company three and a half years earlier when it was an obscure start-up
我是在3年半以前加入谷歌公司的,当时它刚刚起步,前景模糊,
with a few hundred employees in a run-down office building.
员工不过几百人,在一栋破烂的写字楼里办公。
By my first trimester, Google had grown into a company of thousands and moved into a multibuilding campus.
在我怀孕3个月时,谷歌的员工已经发展至几千人,还迁入了一个多建筑园区。
My pregnancy was not easy.
这次怀孕很辛苦。
The typical morning sickness that often accompanies the first trimester affected me every day for nine long months.
一般只在头三个月才会发生的晨吐,我在孕期的每一天都在经历。
I gained almost seventy pounds, and my feet swelled two entire shoe sizes,
这期间我的体重增加了差不多70磅,双脚肿胀得大了两个码,
turning into odd-shaped lumps I could see only when they were propped up on a coffee table.
形状变得很怪异,而且我只有将脚搭在咖啡桌上才能看到它们。
A particularly sensitive Google engineer announced that "Project Whale" was named after me.
一位颇具幽默感的谷歌工程师说,我正在酝酿一个“巨鲸”项目。
One day, after a rough morning spent staring at the bottom of the toilet, I had to rush to make an important client meeting.
一天早晨,在对着马桶吐了半天之后,我开车赶去见一个重要的客户。
Google was growing so quickly that parking was an ongoing problem, and the only spot I could find was quite far away.
谷歌的快速成长导致员工的停车问题成了大麻烦,通常我能找到的停车位都相当偏远。
I sprinted across the parking lot, which in reality meant lumbering a bit more quickly than my absurdly slow pregnancy crawl.
我以孕妇“冲刺”的速度穿过公司停车场,
This only made my nausea worse, and I arrived at the meeting praying that a sales pitch was the only thing that would come out of my mouth.
胃里越发感到恶心。进入会场时我不停地祈祷:待会儿从嘴里冒出来的,除了与销售业务相关的内容之外,千万不要有别的什么东西。