But here is one finding from specifically the research on self-esteem.
但这有一个发现是从专门针对自尊的研究中得来的
On one thing you can do right now when you get out of class to raise self-esteem and that is to cope as opposed to avoid.
你下课之后马上能做的一个实验来提高自尊,就是去面对而非逃避
To cope meaning to put yourself on the line.
去面对意味着把自己置身于风险线上
To take risks not when you're in your panic zone but when you're in your stretch zone.
不是要你在恐慌时冒险而是在你放松时放手一搏
To risk failure. To handle things, to deal things, to confront things that are important to you.
去承担失败的风险,去解决,去处理,去面对那些对你来说重要的事情
To try out for that play. To speak out in session if you haven't.
参加戏剧试演,讨论时说出未曾表述出的观点
To go out to a place where you really want to go but never really try. To try.
去你十分想去却从没去过的地方,去尝试
Because people who cope overtime have the same or sometimes more ups and downs.
因为那些经常面对问题的人有着同样或者有时频繁的起起伏伏
But their ups and downs look like this.
但他们的起伏线条是这样的
Still ups and downs. Permission to be human.
依旧是起起伏伏,和普通人一样
But the base level increases.
但基础水平提高了
Why does the base level increase? I'm gonna end here.
为什么基础水平提高了?我将以此结束本节课
Why does the base level increase when we cope rather than avoid? For 3 reason.
为什么当我们不是逃避而是面对时基础水平提高了?三个原因
First self perception theory. Daryl Bem... I think from either Dartmouth or Cornell...
首先是自我知觉理论 达瑞·白姆……我不记得他是达特茅斯学院还是康奈尔大学的了
what Daryl Bem showed was that we derived conclusion about ourselves in the same way that we derived conclusion about others.
达瑞·白姆指出我们得出关于自己的结论和我们得出关于他人的结论的方式是一样的
So for example if I see a person going up to people
比如说看到一个人走到大家面前
and you know, initiating a conversation or speaking up in session or trying out for a play and trying again and again.
发起谈话或者在会上发言或者去参加一出戏的试演并一次又一次地尝试
My conclusion about this person is, oh, this person is courageous.
我关于这个人的结论就是这人很有勇气
This person must have high self-esteem.
这人肯定有很高的自尊