Dialogue gives a story color, makes it exciting and moves it forward.
对话使故事变得生动有趣,推动着情节发展。
Romeo: O, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied?
罗密欧:啊,难道你不打算满足我吗?
Juliet: What satisfaction canst thou have tonight?
朱丽叶:今晚如何才能满足你?
Romeo: The exchange of thy love's faithful vows for mine.
罗密欧:用你忠诚的爱情誓言来交换我的誓言。
Without dialogue
如果没有对话
So what goes into writing effective dialogue?
那么怎样写出对故事有利的对话呢?
Well, there are social skills: making friends, solving conflicts, being pleasant and polite.
常规的三大社交技巧:交朋友,化解冲突,表现得彬彬有礼。
We won't be using any of those today. Instead, we'll be working on, let's call them "anti-social skills."
但是我们今天不讨论这些。我们今天要讨论的是——“反社交技巧”。
If you're a writer, you may already have a few of these.
如果你是个作家,应该已经具备某些类似技巧了。
The first is eavesdropping.
第一个技巧是偷听。
If you're riding a bus and hear an interesting conversation, you could write it all down.
如果你在乘车时听到有趣的对话,应该把它们都记下来。
Of course, when you write fiction, you're not describing real people, you're making up characters.
虽然在小说里你写的不是真实人物而是虚构的角色。
But sometimes the words you overhear can give you ideas.
但有时偷听到的对话能为你带来灵感。
"I did not," says one person.
“我没做”,一个人辩解着。
"I saw you," the other replies.
“我看见你做了”,另一个人反驳。
Who might be saying those words?
这样的对话会是谁在说呢?
Maybe it's two kids in a class, and the boy thinks the girl pushed him.
也许是班里的两个孩子,小男孩以为小女孩推了他。
Maybe it's a couple, but one of them is a vampire, and the woman vampire saw the man flirting with a zombie. Or maybe not.
也许是一对夫妻,妻子是吸血鬼,她看到丈夫与一个僵尸调情。还有更多可能性。
Maybe the characters are a teenager and his mother, and they're supposed to be vegetarians, but the mother saw him eating a burger.
比如是儿子和母亲间的对话,他们是素食主义者,但妈妈看到儿子偷吃了汉堡。