I see my work as woven into the fabric of cities.
在我看来,我的作品已经融入城市的脉络。
These soft fibers move and adapt to wind and light and rain, and they are a way of being;
这些柔软的纤维随着风、光线和雨水舞动,它们是存在的一种方式,
they are about interconnectedness.
它们在表达一种关联性。
I'm Janet Echelman, I'm an artist.
我是Janet Echelman,我是一名艺术家。
I bring sculpture and form and light into the public realm,
我的工作就是把织物设计、形式和光带入大家的视野,
so that we can literally change the spaces that we live in, in cities.
以便我们可以真正改造我们所在的城市空间。
My sculpture has traveled to five continents.
我的编织作品遍布五个大洲。
It takes an incredible team to create one of these sculptures.
创作这些织物中的任何一件作品都需要一支强大的团队。
I am working with computer scientists and artisans, and aeronautical and structural engineers all over the world.
我的同事包括自世界各地的计算机科学家、工匠、航空工程师以及结构工程师。
This part is hanging the way we want it to hang, down there.
这里的垂吊效果就是我们想要的效果,就是那种垂吊的感觉。
My studio is where we incubate ideas.
我们的创意都是在我的工作室里孵化出来的。
Some of my newest work, I'm using data sets from science, whether it's human action or an earthquake and tsunami to reveal our relationship with the world;
在我最近完成的一些作品中,我们会先收集包括人类活动、地震、海啸等揭示人与世界关系的活动方面的科学数据;
and then I just start sketching, whether it's with a pen or paintbrush.
之后我才开始画素描,有时用钢笔,有时也会用画笔画。
Then we start to model it in three dimensions in the computer,
然后我们用计算机对它进行三维建模,
and we also make physical models.
我们也会制作物理模型。
They begin as raw fiber that is braided into twine and rope,
一开始我们先把粗纤维编织成绳索或者麻线,
put on to bobbins, and loomed using machines, and the ropes are spliced by hand.
然后绕到绕线筒上,用机器进行编织,最后手工给它们加固。
To take the work and install it in the city is a whole 'nother set of artistry.
把这些织物运到某个城市并悬挂起来又是一门完整的艺术。
The piecce comes together as a single sewn garment for the city.
整体来看,一件织物就是一件精心缝制的城市外衣。
My work is about the dynamic nature of life, and it's always unfolding.
我工作的宗旨是生命在乎动且始终都在动的本质。
During the day the colors of the sculpture change slightly as sunlight changes.
白天,织物的颜色会随着阳光的变化而略有变化。
At night I'm projecting colored light that is very slowly, gradually changing.
到了晚上,投射到织物上的灯光徐徐变色。
It's never the same piece,
这些织物的造型和颜色一直都在变化,
and you and the person you come to see it with might have completely different experiences.
即便是你和同伴同时看,你们获得的也可能是迥然不同的两种体验。
The work invites people to engage with it.
我的作品欢迎大家主动发挥想象,主动去体验。