This got repeated as "Rubin likes gold," and someone spent millions of dollars to please the new boss.
这句话经过多次转述后被演绎成了“鲁宾对黄金感兴趣”。随后,就有人打算花费数百万美元来取悦这位新老板。
More than a decade later, I experienced my own "Rubin likes gold" moment.
十多年以后,我也有了一段类似“鲁宾对黄金感兴趣”的经历。
When I joined Facebook, I faced a dilemma: I needed to bolster the business side of the company while respecting its unconventional culture.
我刚加入脸谱网就面临两难的处境:一方面我要提高公司的经营水平,同时也要尊重它的非传统文化。
Most corporations love PowerPoint presentations, so I encouraged people not to prepare them for meetings with me,
许多公司都喜欢用PowerPoint(PPT,一款演示文稿软件)做演示,但我提议大家和我开会时不用准备PPT,
but instead to come with a simple list of topics.
只要有一个简单的要点清单就可以了。
I repeated this frequently, but every meeting seemed to include a detailed PowerPoint presentation anyway.
我常常这么说,但每次开会时员工都会准备一份详尽的PPT报告。
After more than two years of frustration, I announced that although I hated making rules, I was making one: no more PowerPoint in my meetings.
两年多以后,我满怀挫败感地宣布,尽管我不喜欢冰冷的规定,但现在必须声明:开会时不准再出现PPT。
A few weeks later, as I was getting ready to speak to our global sales team,
几周后,当我准备与全球销售团队谈话时,
Kirsten Nevill-Manning, a skilled human resources leader at Facebook, came to find me.
脸谱网的资深人力资源主管柯尔斯滕·内维尔–曼宁来找我。
Kirsten thought I should know that everyone in Europe was upset with me.
她认为我应该知道欧洲客户对我很不满意。
Really? I angered an entire continent?
真的吗?整个欧洲大陆都被我惹急了?
She explained that client meetings were very difficult without PowerPoint and asked why I would make such a stupid rule.
她解释说客户会议没有PPT很麻烦,还问为什么我会有这么一条愚蠢的规定。
I explained that I had intended the rule to apply only to presentations to me.
我解释说这条规定只在对我做汇报时才有效。
But just as the Goldman team heard "Gold = good," the Facebook team heard "PowerPoint = bad."
但就像高盛的员工听到“黄金=好”一样,脸谱网的员工听到的就是“PPT=坏”。