The next day, I came home after school around 4:00.
第二天4点左右,我放学回家。
Uncle Jeff and I had planned to talk about some work he wanted me to do for his new book.
杰夫叔叔和我打算谈谈他想让我为他的新书做的工作。
But when I stepped through the front door, I could see that he was already busy.
但当我走进前门,我看到他在忙。
He had a visitor. Uncle Jeff was in the living room with a woman.
来了一个人,杰夫叔叔和一个女人在客厅里。
She was about 45 years old.
那个女人45岁左右,
She had short, blond hair and she was wearing a dark sweater and a long skirt. She was carrying an old briefcase.
留着一头金黄色的短发,穿着一件深色毛衣和一条长裙,提着一个旧公文包。
She looked confident, but worried. Uncle Jeff stood up when I opened the door.
她看上去很有自信,但有些担心,我开门时杰夫叔叔站了起来。
"Clara Dunn, I want you to meet my nephew, Derrick Cruz," my uncle said.
“克拉拉·邓恩,我想让你见见我的侄子,德里克·克鲁兹,”杰夫叔叔说。
The woman stood up and I shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you," she said.
那女人站起来,我和她握了握手。“很高兴见到你,”她说。
"It's nice to meet you, too, Professor Dunn," I said. I turned to go to my room.
“我也很高兴见到你,邓恩教授,”我说。我转身走进我的房间。
"Wait, Derrick. If you have some time, I would like you to hear what Professor Dunn has to say," he said.
“等等,德里克。如果你有时间的话,我想让你听听邓恩教授是怎么说的,”他说。
"I already told her that you are my assistant."
“我已经把你是我的助手告诉她了。”
I looked at Uncle Jeff to make sure he was serious. Clara Dunn said in her email that this was an important matter.
我看了看杰夫叔叔,确定他是认真的。克拉拉·邓恩在电子邮件中说,这件事情很重要。
He gave me a quick nod. "Sure," I said quickly and sat down in a chair next to Uncle Jeff.
他迅速地点了点头。“当然,”我很快说道,然后坐在杰夫叔叔旁边的椅子上。