About 10 minutes after Professor Dunn left,
邓恩教授离开大约10分钟后,
there was a knock on the front door.
前门传来敲门声。
Uncle Jeff opened it.
杰夫叔叔打开门。
"Hi, Professor McQueen."
“你好,麦奎因教授。”
Uncle Jeff stepped back to let Sydney Morita, my best friend, into the house.
杰夫叔叔退后一步,让我最好的朋友——西德尼·森田进了屋子。
"Good to see you, Sydney," my uncle said.
“西德尼,很高兴见到你”杰夫叔叔说。
"Well, I'd better get to work."
“我也很高兴见到你,我得去工作了。”
He walked into his office.
杰夫叔叔走进办公室。
I knew that he would start on the new case right away.
我知道他会立即着手处理这个新案子。
"I wanted to see if you wanted to study for the chemistry test on Friday," Sydney said to me.
“我想知道你是否愿意为周五的化学考试复习,”西德尼对我说。
Sydney and I have been friends since the third grade.
从三年级起,我和西德尼就成为朋友了。
Sydney's family lived down the street from me when I was growing up.
小时候,我和西德尼是邻居。
My father is from Mexico and Sydney's dad is from Japan.
我的父亲是墨西哥人,西德尼的父亲是日本人。
We just seemed to have a lot of things in common
我们似乎有很多共同点,
and we have been friends ever since.
从那以后我们一直是朋友。
Now, Sydney is a student at California University, too.
现在,西德尼也在加利福尼亚大学上学。
"The chemistry test! Oh no! I forgot all about it," I said.
化学测试!噢,不!我把它全忘了,”我说。
"After the ‘C' I got on the last test, I need to do a lot better on this one."
“上次考试得了‘C’,这次考试我得好好努力了。”
"That's why I'm here," Sydney said.
“这就是我来这里的原因,”西德尼说。
"I'll help you study for it."
“我会帮你复习的。”
"I don't know why you bother," I said.
“我不知道你为什么这么担心,”我说。
"I'm terrible at chemistry. I'm just hoping to pass the class at this point."
“我化学很糟糕。我只希望这次能及格”