"Now, Mr. Sherlock Holmes," said the lady as we entered a well-lit dining-room,
"福尔摩斯先生,"圣克莱尔太太说,这时我们已经走进了一间灯光明亮的餐室,
upon the table of which a cold supper had been laid out,
桌上摆好了冷餐,
"I should very much like to ask you one or two plain questions, to which I beg that you will give a plain answer."
"我很想问您一两个直截了当的问题,求您给一个坦率的回答。"
"Certainly, madam."
"当然可以,太太。"
"Do not trouble about my feelings. I am not hysterical, nor given to fainting.
"您别担心我的情绪。我不是歇斯底里的,也不会动不动就晕倒。
I simply wish to hear your real, real opinion."
我仅仅想听听您的实实在在的意见。"
"Upon what point?" "In your heart of hearts, do you think that Neville is alive?"
"在哪一点上?""您说真心话,您认为内维尔还活着吗?"
Sherlock Holmes seemed to be embarrassed by the question.
歇洛克·福尔摩斯似乎被这问题窘住了。
"Frankly, now!" she repeated, standing upon the rug and looking keenly down at him as he leaned back in a basket-chair.
"说老实话,说啊!"她重复着,站在地毯上目光向下直盯着他,这时他正仰身坐在一张柳条椅里。
"Frankly, then, madam, I do not."
"那么,太太,说老实话,我不这么认为。"
"You think that he is dead?" "I do."
"你认为他死了?""是的。"
"Murdered?" "I don't say that. Perhaps."
"被谋杀了?""我不这样认为。或许是。"
"And on what day did he meet his death?" "On Monday."
"他在哪一天遇害的?""星期一。"
"Then perhaps, Mr. Holmes, you will be good enough to explain how it is that I have received a letter from him to-day."
"那么,福尔摩斯先生,也许您愿意解释一下我今天接到他的来信,这又是怎么一回事?"