I consider myself one part artist and one part designer.
我自认为既是一位艺术家,又是一位设计师。
And I work at an artificial intelligence research lab.
我在一个研究人工智能的实验室工作。
We're trying to create technology that you'll want to interact with in the far future.
我们正在尝试创造一项在遥远的将来能和人类互动的科技。
Not just six months from now, but try years and decades from now.
不是在六个月之后,而是几年甚至几十年之后。
And we're taking a moonshot that we'll want to be interacting with computers in deeply emotional ways.
我们正在实施一个“登月计划”,我们希望能与电脑进行深层次的情感方面的互动。
So in order to do that, the technology has to be just as much human as it is artificial. It has to get you.
为了做到这些,技术不仅要智能,还要人性。它必须懂你。
You know, like that inside joke that'll have you and your best friend on the floor, cracking up.
就像一个朋友间的笑话,能让你和你的朋友在地板上笑得前仰后翻。
Or that look of disappointment that you can just smell from miles away.
或者是,你远远就能嗅到的失望气息。
I view art as the gateway to help us bridge this gap between human and machine:
我把艺术看作是帮助我们填补人类与机器之间空白的途径:
to figure out what it means to get each other so that we can train AI to get us.
使每个人都能相互了解对方,使我们能训练人工智能来“懂我们”。
See, to me, art is a way to put tangible experiences to intangible ideas, feelings and emotions.
对我来说,艺术是把有形的经历,转化为无形的想法、感受、情感的方式。
And I think it's one of the most human things about us.
我认为这是人性的一个重要特征。
See, we're a complicated and complex bunch.
我们是难懂的、复杂的群体。
We have what feels like an infinite range of emotions, and to top it off, we're all different.
我们拥有无限的情感,而且,我们都是不同的。
We have different family backgrounds, different experiences and different psychologies.
我们拥有不同的家庭背景,不同的经历,不同的心理活动。
And this is what makes life really interesting.
这是为什么生活那么有趣的原因。
But this is also what makes working on intelligent technology extremely difficult.
但这同时也是研究智能技术最难的地方。
And right now, AI research, well, it's a bit lopsided on the tech side. And that makes a lot of sense.
如今,对人工智能的研究过于偏重技术,这也很好理解。