My grandmother survived and thrived.
我外婆活了下来,生活得很好
As did Shanti. Shanti could have no children, but my mother was her child too.
尚蒂也是。尚蒂不能生育,但她把我妈妈视如己出
And I was her grandchild as well. I remember, this was in October of 1988.
她把我当成外孙一样,我记得,那是1988年10月
Shanti had passed away a few years earlier.
尚蒂几年前去世了
And we went to the cemetery on the day that she passed away, to say some prayers over her tombstone. And I went with my grandmother.
她去世那天,我们去墓地,在她的墓碑前祈祷,我和我外婆去
And we walked there. And my grandmother stook in front of the tombstone.
我们一起走,我外婆站在墓碑前
And on the tombstone, we engraved not just Shanti's name, but the names of all the brothers and her parents.
墓碑上不仅刻着尚蒂的名字,还是她兄弟父母的名字
And she looked at the tombstone and I thought she talked to shanti- and said to her, "we are so fortunate, aren't we? We are so lucky.
她看着墓碑,我听到她跟尚蒂说,我们真幸运,不是吗?我们很幸运
And look Talik is here." She called me Talik.
你看Talik也来了,她叫我Talik
And then she told her what I was doing.
然后她跟她说我干什么工作
And she told her what my brothers and sisters were doing- their grandchildren. And about my mother and father.
她告诉她我兄弟姐妹在做什么工作,她们的外孙,我父母
And how wonderful thing were. And she was talking about the wonderful things. And she was crying once in a while, missing Shanti.
跟她说生活有多美好,她在说美好的事,她偶尔会哭,想念尚蒂
She was so human, just standing there, and talking half Yiddish, half Hebrew. Once in a while, talking to me.
她是一个有血有肉的人,她站在那里,有时说依地语,有时说希伯来语,偶尔会跟我说一两句
And to her sister who saved her life.
然后又跟救了她一命的姐姐说两句
And she said to me, "let's go." And we walked together.
她跟我说"走吧",然后我们一起走
Thousands of tombs around us. We walked along the path toward the car.
我们周围有几千个坟墓,我们在小道上向车走去
It was a beautiful October day. The sun was out.
那时是十月,很美丽,太阳西下
The wind was blowing. The trees were swinging.
风在吹,树在摆动