The next day was Saturday. I had planned to get up early, but when I looked at the clock, it was already 9:30.
第二天是星期六。我本打算早起的,一看表,已经九点半了。
For a long time now, I'd been trying to get up early like Uncle Jeff.
很长时间以来,我一直试图像杰夫叔叔那样早起。
He normally gets up at 6:30 to lift weights and to go running.
他通常六点半起床举重和跑步。
For a man in his mid-40s, he was in great shape, certainly better than I was.
对于一个40多岁的男人来说,他的身材保持的很好,肯定比我好。
I was a little taller, just over six feet, but he was built like a football player.
我比他高六尺,但他的身型和足球运动员差不多。
In a one-on-one fight, I'd bet on him to win.
单挑的话,我打赌他会赢。
I went into the kitchen after brushing my teeth. I was really hungry.
刷完牙后我走进厨房,我真的很饿。
I was glad to see Uncle Jeff at the kitchen table eating breakfast.
我很高兴看到杰夫叔叔在餐桌上吃早餐。
Maybe I hadn't missed anything by getting up late.
起晚了兴许我还没错过什么。
"I'm glad I'm not the only one who slept in," I said to him.
“我很高兴我不是唯一一个睡过头的人,”我对他说。
"Actually, I've been up since 6:00. I went to the police station to check on Clara."
“事实上,我6点就起了,我到警察局去看克拉拉。”
I should have known. "How is she?" I asked.
我早该知道。“她怎么样?”我问。
"They wouldn't let me see her, but I ran into Sergeant Montoya.
“他们不让我见她,但我遇到了队长蒙托亚。
Do you remember her?" he asked me.
你还记得她吗?”他问我。
"Sure. She was the detective who investigated the case last month.
“当然。她就是上个月调查这个案件的警官。
What did she tell you?"
她和你说了些什么?”