White corn is one of our relatives.
白玉米就跟我们的亲人差不多。
We feel that she is alive, she wants to do the job that she told our creator she would do, is to feed our people and nourish them.
我们觉得白玉米是有生命的,她想兑现她对我们的造物主许下的诺言,那就是养活我们的人民,养育他们。
The work that we do, if we didn't have this, we would lose everything.
我们做这份工作是因为,如果没有白玉米,我们就什么都没了。
For a few thousand years, Potawatomi people have been incredible farmers and have grown lots and lots of varieties of crops.
几千年来,波塔瓦托米人一直是了不起的农民,他们种植了许许多多不同种类的农作物。
The seed library is a place where we take crops which are disappearing, rare and endangered Potawatomi vegetables, and we grow them out,
种子库就是我们把已经开始消失或者已经十分稀有,已经濒危的波塔瓦托米蔬菜种植出来,
and we restore them and put them back in the hands of native farmers.
恢复它们的产量,然后再把它们交回当地农民手中这么一个地方。
George Martin carries the Potawatomi tradition of making ndamnabo, or corn soup.
乔治·马丁继承了制作ndamnabo,也就是玉米汤的传统。
In our seed library, we have 76 unique varieties of corn.
我们的种子库里有76种独特的玉米品种。
Each one has its own cultural identity, its own unique flavor.
每一种都有自己的文化身份,有自己独特的味道。
After a while, when we stir it, you'll see how tough it gets to stir it.
过一会儿,搅拌它的时候,你就知道搅拌起来有多费劲了。
Our corn is a lot different than other corns which are out there.
我们的玉米和其他玉米有很大的不同。
If we didn't have the seed library, these traditional food, might be gone forever.
如果我们没有种子库,这些传统的食物就可能永远地消失。
Within our seed library, 80% of the varieties which we take care of are rare or nearly extinct.
在我们的种子库中,我们精心呵护的品种中有80%的都是稀有或濒临灭绝的品种。
Some of the varieties we care for here, we're the only place in the world which has them.
有些在全世界范围内都只有我们这里才有。
This one's gonna be a nice one.
这个肯定很饱满。
Four years ago, when we first got nugasignuga, or White Flower Corn, we only had a half a canning jar, a very small amount of seed.
四年前,我们第一次拿到nugasignuga,也就是白花玉米种子的时候,只有半罐的量,可以说是非常非常少了。
We've grown it every year since, and now we have enough that we may have 100 bushels full.
从那以后,我们每年都种,现在我们已经种出了足够的量了,估计得装满100蒲式耳(筐)了。
That's enough that next year we can plant six or seven acres of just this corn.
足够我们明年种他个六七英亩了。
That's a huge increase.
这个增长可以说是非常非常大了。
It is important, that's what we were sent down here for, to take care of Mother Earth and all her creations here, and that corn realizes that.
重要,这也是我们被送到这里来的目的,来照顾地球母亲和她创造的一切,而种植这种玉米帮助我们实现了这一点。
We're back using it again.
我们又开始食用这种玉米了。
You know, we're gonna use it in a feast.
在宴会上食用啦。
It makes the corn feel good, after being used by our people again.
这样会让玉米感觉很好,能够重新被我们的人民食用。
It’s done, it’s ready to eat.
煮好了,可以吃了。