"This whole thing has made me think," she said.
“整件事我想了一下,”她说。
"I just want to keep teaching and doing research. I had forgotten what really made me happy.
“我只想继续教书,继续做研究。我忘记了真正使我快乐的是什么。
It's not power or the dean's job but just being a professor."
让我快乐的不是权力或院长的职位,而是教授的工作。”
"Alan Maurie hurt a lot of people," my uncle said.
“艾伦·毛里伤害了很多人,”叔叔说。
"I can't say I'm glad he's dead, but a lot of people will be happier now that he is."
“我不能说我很高兴他死了,但很多人现在会开心他死了。”
A week later, I was returning home from school when I saw Jennifer sitting outside my front door.
一个星期后,我从学校回家的时候,我看到詹妮弗坐在我家前门外面。
"Hi," she said.
“ 嗨,”她说。
"Hi," I said. I was really surprised to see her. After everything that had happened, I honestly didn't think I'd see her again.
“嗨,”我说。看到她我真的很惊讶。发生了这一切之后,我真的觉得再也见不到她了。
I opened the front door and showed her into the living room.
我打开前门,把她领进客厅。
"I wanted to come by to thank you and your uncle for finding the murderer," she said.
“我是来谢谢你和你叔叔找到凶手的,”她说。
"Now that the case is closed, the police have returned the photographs to me.
“现在案子结束了,警察已经把照片还给我了。
They were in Dean Maurie's office and they didn't see any reason why I shouldn't have them back."
照片在毛里院长的办公室,警察找不到任何理由不让我拿回照片。
"That's great!" I said, and I meant it. I was really glad that she got her pictures back.
“太好了!”我说,我是认真的。我真高兴她把照片拿回来了。
And I was even more glad that she didn't have to worry about someone like Alan Maurie.
我更高兴的是她不用担心像艾伦·毛里这样的人。