It was not a bright or splendid summer evening, though fair and soft:
这是一个晴朗温和却并不明亮灿烂的夏夜:
the haymakers were at work all along the road;
干草工们沿路忙碌着;
and the sky, though far from cloudless, was such as promised well for the future:
天空虽然有云,却仍有好天气的兆头。
its blue -- where blue was visible -- was mild and settled, and its cloud strata high and thin.
天上的蓝色--在看得见蓝色的地方--柔和而稳定,云层又高又薄。
The west, too, was warm: no watery gleam chilled it
西边也很暖和:没有湿润的微光来造就凉意,
it seemed as if there was a fire lit, an altar burning behind its screen of marbled vapour,
看上去仿佛点起了火,好似一个祭坛在大理石般雾气的屏障后面燃一烧着,
and out of apertures shone a golden redness.
从缝隙中射一出金色的红光。
I felt glad as the road shortened before me:
面前的路越走越短,
so glad that I stopped once to ask myself what that joy meant:
我心里非常高兴,高兴得有一次竟停下脚步问自己,这种喜悦的含义何在,
and to remind reason that it was not to my home I was going, or to a permanent resting-place,
并提醒理智,我不是回到自己家里,或是去一个永久的安身之处,
or to a place where fond friends looked out for me and waited my arrival.
我是到一个亲密的朋友们翘首以待、等候我到达的地方。
"Mrs. Fairfax will smile you a calm welcome, to be sure," said I;
“可以肯定,费尔法克斯太太会平静地笑笑,表示欢迎,”我说,
"and little Adèle will clap her hands and jump to see you:
“而小阿黛勒会拍手叫好,一见我就跳起来,不
but you know very well you are thinking of another than they, and that he is not thinking of you."
过你心里很明白,你想的不是她们,而是另外一个人,而这个人却并不在想你。”