"Now, he has his back towards me," thought I, "and he is occupied too;
“现在,他背对着我,”我想,“而且全神贯注,
perhaps, if I walk softly, I can slip away unnoticed."
也许要是我脚步儿轻些,我可以人不知鬼不觉地溜走。”
I trode on an edging of turf that the crackle of the pebbly gravel might not betray me:
我踩在路边的草皮上,免得沙石路的咔嚓声把自己给暴露,
he was standing among the beds at a yard or two distant from where I had to pass; the moth apparently engaged him.
他站在离我必经之地一两码的花坛中间,显然飞蛾吸引了他的注意力。
"I shall get by very well," I meditated.
“我会顺利通过,”我暗自思忖。
As I crossed his shadow, thrown long over the garden by the moon, not yet risen high,
月亮还没有升得很高,在园子里投下了罗切斯特先生长长的身影,我正要跨过这影子,
he said quietly, without turning: "Jane, come and look at this fellow."
他却头也不回就低声说:“简,过来看看这家伙。”
I had made no noise: he had not eyes behind -- could his shadow feel?
我不曾发出声响,他背后也不长眼睛--难道他的影子会有感觉不成?
I started at first, and then I approached him.
我先是吓了一跳,随后便朝他走去。
"Look at his wings," said he, "he reminds me rather of a West Indian insect;
“瞧它的翅膀,”他说,“它使我想起一只西印度的昆虫,
one does not often see so large and gay a night-rover in England; there! he is flown."
在英国不常见到这么又大又艳丽的夜游虫;瞧!它飞走了。”
The moth roamed away.
飞蛾飘忽着飞走了。
I was sheepishly retreating also; but Mr. Rochester followed me, and when we reached the wicket, he said:
我也局促不安地退去。可是罗切斯特先生跟着我,到了边门,他说:
"Turn back: on so lovely a night it is a shame to sit in the house;
“回来,这么可爱的夜晚,坐在屋子里多可惜;
and surely no one can wish to go to bed while sunset is thus at meeting with moonrise."
在日落与月出相逢的时刻,肯定是没有谁愿意去睡觉的。”