Imagine that you are a 15-year-old kid from Honduras now living in Harlem,
想象一下你是一个15岁的孩子,来自洪都拉斯,现在生活在纽约哈莱姆区,
or you're a 13-year-old girl born in DC to two Nigerian immigrants.
或者你是一个13岁的小女孩,生于华盛顿特区,父母是尼日利亚移民。
You love the game. You're on the field with your folks.
你喜欢这个足球比赛。你和你的伙伴们在场上。
You've just been practicing dribbling through cones for, like, 15 minutes,
你已经练习了带球过路障,练了15分钟了,
and then, all of a sudden, a marching band comes down the field.
然后突然间,一个行进乐队走向了球场。
I want to associate the joy of the game with the exuberance of culture,
我想把比赛的乐趣与文化的丰富性相结合,
to locate the site of joy in the game at the same physical coordinate as being politically informed by art,
把比赛的乐趣放置在和通过艺术来介绍政治知识同样的坐标位置上,
a grass-laden theater for liberation.
一个绿草如茵、解放自由的剧院。
We spend a week looking at how the midfielder would explain Black Lives Matter,
我们用了一周来看中场球员如何解释了Black Lives Matter(黑人抗议歧视的活动),
or how the goalkeeper would explain gun control,
或者守门员的位置可以怎么解释枪支管制,
or how a defender's style is the perfect metaphor for the limits of American exceptionalism.
或者一个防守球员的风格怎么完美的比喻了美国排外主义的局限。
As we study positions on the field, we also name and imagine our own freedoms.
当我们研究球场上的位置,我们也会命名和想象我们自己的自由。
I don't know, man, soccer is, like, the only thing on this planet that we can all agree to do together.
怎么说呢,足球大概是这个星球上唯一一个我们都愿意一起做的事。
You know? It's like the official sport of this spinning ball.
是吧?它像是一个关于这旋转的球的官方体育活动。
I want to be able to connect the joy of the game to the ever-moving footballer,
我希望可以把球赛的喜悦联系到永远在移动的球员,
to connect that moving footballer to immigrants who also moved in sight of a better position.
把那在移动的球员联系到同样在向更美好的方向移动的移民群体。
Among these kids, I want to connect their families' histories to the bliss of a goal-scorer's run,
对这些孩子,我想把他们的家庭历史联系到得分球员跑动时的幸福,
family like that feeling after the ball beats the goalie, the closest thing going to freedom. Thank you.
那看到足球冲向守门员的感觉是最接近自由的时刻。谢谢。